List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Kind of forgot about this thread. I just want to mention that the Onyx Boox 3 Max has been released, and this is the first e/ink tablet that is no longer primarily an e/reader but an actual tablet. Runs Android 9 with full Play Store support. I would love to see a video running OneNote on it, that is the decisive factor for this (expensive) device. It also comes with HDMI port so you can use it as an external monitor, perfect for those writing outdoors.

Obviously, it is so new that they jury is still out. But one of the features is that it lets you write directly in a PDF with the Wacom EMR stylus. No need to first open menus.

YVerloc, JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Me too! When I started it I planned to make an ever growing list with every new device, but it turns out I'm pretty happy with the DPT-RP1 (worst product name ever) so I haven't been keeping up. The Boox Max 3 sounds pretty good though, I'll check it out if/when my DPT dies.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

DPT rip one.
    Nope, not a good name.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Sheesh this thing looks amazing! I’m still blissfully ignorant of the price, but in terms of functionality it wipes the floor with the Sony DPT. Look how the GoodEReader guy is speaking quickly so he can cover most features in a fourteen minute video.. It’s like he’s narrating a horse race. :D

Edit: bliss obliterated: $860 on Amazon so far. :eek: Not too far from what I paid for the Sony, but it’s a bit much to replace a perfectly working device! Still tempting though, because....

Boox Max3 vs. DPT-RP1

Price. $860 vs. $700
    Weight: 490g vs. 380g
    Country of manufacture: China vs. Japan
    Storage: full USB OTG vs. finicky proprietary
    Sync: dropbox and more vs. prorietary desktop tool
    File types: tons vs. PDF only
    Dictionary: yes vs. no
    Translation: yes vs. no
    Pressure sensitive: yes vs. no
    Web browser: yes vs. no
    Video: decent 11fps vs. none at all
    Speaker: yes vs. no
    Bluetooth audio: tbd vs. no
    Video out: yes vs. no
    Charge: USB-C vs. micro USB
    Login: fingerprint vs. PIN (iirc)
    Peripherals: keyboard and mouse support vs. none
    Backlight: no & no
    Battery: 4300 mAh vs. unknown
    Standby time: up to 4 weeks vs. over 3 weeks (wifi off)
    Device on-time: unknown vs. 20 hours aka “3 weeks”**

** with 20h total use of text-only PDF with 1 minute/day of annotating and no Wifi or bluetooth

Pretty much a winner all around, except the weight: the Max3 is 30% heavier than the Sony DPT-RP1. Still, the Max3 is only one pound, which is pretty great given how many heavy books you can squeeze in it. :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And right in the comments, though interesting that they blame Microsoft for it since I had bad experiences in other pen-enabled apps (like Xodo) I tried on the Nova Pro too:

6. Kumabjorn

My unicorn for e-ink is an 8" device that runs OneNote flawlessly and can take video input. Alas, it still doesn't exist. Reading the posts here I decided to open up my old, old Galaxy Note 10.1 (pre 2014) and it was actually fairly horrible using the pen in ON. Worked fine in other apps, just not in ON. So I'm prone to accept the claim that the problem lies with Microsoft and not the tablet OEMs.

It's been a while since I did it the last time, after getting the iPad Pro 9.7 the device has been idle, but back in the day the pen worked just fine inside ON. Thus, while improving it for other platforms (Surface, I'm guessing) they've made it worse inside Android.

7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah, the wonders of outsourcing development. :vbtongue:

Well, seeing as how MS has basically given up on ON for Android, maybe the only hope is for a Windows e-ink tablet instead. Something no OEM seems willing to attempt for some reason (even though the C930 was literally knocking at the doorstep).

What's with the aversion of e-ink tablets to Windows? Yet you still have loads of these 8" Atom/Celeron Windows tablets being sold... :vbconfused:

Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have any of you guys checked out the SuperNote A5/A6?

According to the Goodreader product page, the digitizer features an "Embedded self-develop IC chips reaching 28ms latency" which is about twice as good as reMarkable's spec: "The current generation CANVAS display prototypes have a latency about 50-60 ms."

Goodreader gave it very high praise in its top e-ink stylus devices roundup:

Other specs include:

Display: E-Ink Digital Ink Touch Screen
    ProcessorIMX6 (single core Cortex A9 processor)
    RAM:1GB
    Display Size: 7.8" / 10.3" — A6/A5
    Display Resolution:1872×1404 (300 DPI) / 1872×1404 (226DPI)⁠ — A6/A5
    Storage:32GB
    Battery:2500mAh / 2850mAh — A6/A5
    Digital Pen:Wacom G14
    Power Supply & Data Connector:Type-C USB

Size/Weight

188mm*138mm*7.2mm, 245g — A6
    245mm*178mm*7mm, 366g — A5

Price:$399/599 (Goodreader); 2499/3939 RMB (JD.com)
    Some more details on the custom EMR "Shinonome" pen from this reddit thread:

Pen tips comparison[​IMG]
    Pen-to-screen interaction diagram[​IMG]
    (Goodreader)
    "When interacting with the screen, there is a high degree of torque, which is the closest anyone has ever gotten to writing on real paper."

Runs a custom Linux OS and somewhat weak SoC, but man that attention to pen-on-paper feel and the latency is nearly on par with the Cintiq Pro 16's 25ms. These e-ink devices are starting to mean some serious business for tablet users!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019