List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

thatcomicsguy, JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's a shot of the very EMR-looking pen:

(TabletNews)
    [​IMG]

And a brief hands-on from Notebook Italia:

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Gotta love a company that's willing to keep fine-tuning their bugs..
    upload_2019-8-21_13-46-1.png

DRTigerlilly and hiramkey like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

WillAdams likes this.
  7. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Why am I so intrigued by this? There’s nothing to stop me from painting in black and white on my iPad Pro. And yet.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've actually been trying to read more to relax in my downtime, and so I bought the Onyx Nova Pro (the 7.8" version from early 2019) on Amazon this week, receiving it on Wednesday. To make a long story short, today (Saturday) I dropped it off at Amazon for a return.

Maybe the Max3 is much better based on its faster CPU, but I was so completely and utterly disappointed by the Nova Pro, which theoretically met every need I was looking for.

Its e-book app was disappointing, not giving me nearly enough adjustment over font size, etc. On my Android phone I use Moon+Reader Pro, which of course runs on the Nova Pro and looks great. Except because it's not customized for the e-ink, the screen refresh sometimes gave me problems, where I would see previous pages overlaid. Usually the device eventually caught up, but I read so fast that it was a problem.

The built-in note app writes great. Except while it claims OneNote sync support, it never actually successfully synced. (And of course, even if it had, it only would have been as an image, not as ink). So again, I try the Android app. The palm rejection from the built-in app is nonexistent when using the Android OneNote app. So then I disable touch. And the stroke lags behind my pen by about 5 seconds. I go back to the built-in app thinking it's a RAM related thing and that everything will then be slow, but no. Still writes perfectly there.

So basically, the two things I would want the device to do, and both were subpar for me.

Also, the USB-C port is noncompliant, which means it won't charge on my USB-PD laptop charger, and it won't connect to the USB-C port of my laptop. And the thing got really warm in my use of it. Obviously because of the CPU running Android. And then strike 3, the battery life is abysmal for an e-reader. Again obviously because of Android.

But yeah, that was the fastest I've ever returned a device. But hey, maybe the better CPU of the newer and larger one will fix it. I wouldn't be optimistic, but who knows.

Edit: To be fair, the Max3 also has Android 9, whereas the Nova Pro when I tried it was on 6.0.1 (they've promised an upgrade to 9 but it's not available yet). I suppose it's also possible that they optimized the software better in the update, but again doubt it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    YVerloc likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Welcome to the club of professional hot horseshoe handlers.

jhoff80 likes this.