linux with fujitsu lappy anyone

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by sagitis, Sep 23, 2007.

1. sagitis

sagitis Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wondering have anyone here tried to install Linux on fujitsu notebook ?

Once I got my Vista downgrade to Xp CD from fijitsu ,I am planning to install linux and dual boot it with windows xp. So which linux distro is good for tablet and dual boot ubuntu, gentool ?

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried Ubuntu FF 7.04 on my T4210, everything worked out of the box except the digitiser and tablet buttons. I didn't have the time to thresh that out, so I've uninstalled it for the time being.

3. wkladis

wkladis Pen Pal - Newbie

Installed SuSE 10, and it ran fine (mostly). Not really a linux expert, so I had to get one of the programmers from work to get my graphics drivers working.

I too couldn't get the pen to work. Since then, I've deleted Linux for a dual-boot XP.

4. haplo_09

haplo_09 Pen Pal - Newbie

first I tried to install ubuntu 7.04. - It was quite a pain to boot from live cd because of some sata bug. Later I couldn't video and network card to work in 7.04 so I removed it. ( I hate that linux distro) Later I installed 8.04 - surprisingly video and sound worked perfectly, ( together with compiz) it even detected my wireless card from which I was getting decent download rate. After the update, video and sound crashed - so I deleted this distro - because it still was quite unstable. Finally yesterday, I installed debian 4.0 Etch, it installed nicely without any problem, unlike previous ubuntu. Video, audio and ethernet worked instantly. This week I am hoping to update kernel, install network updates, and hopefully get it working in tablet mode.

Once I set up everything I will write detailed description what to do.

5. sagitis

sagitis Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks guys now at least I know what to expect then I install in my T2010.,

looking forward to your install haplo guide
    I heard debian is hard to install, but the most stable version . Ubuntu = debian, but more support.
    we definitely need more penguins here :)

6. justauser

justauser Scribbler - Standard Member

I use Puppy Linux. Worked fine other than the pen.

7. rgonzale

rgonzale Pen Pal - Newbie

FWIW I just installed Mandriva on my new T4220 without a hitch, except I haven't tried to get the pen to work yet.

Download the "Mandriva Linux Free 2008" version from http://www.mandriva.com and burn the .iso image to a DVD. Then reboot and press Enter to get to the BIOS. Go to the Boot tab to boot from your DVD drive, and exit the BIOS. The Linux installer lets you resize your Windows partition to make room for linux (no data loss, but backup your files just in case), then create a 2GB swap partition and a 10GB or larger partition for the linux filesystem (I picked ext3 filesystem). Then pick your desktop (I like KDE desktop), etc, the installer holds your hand the whole way.

Reboot and you see the choice of Windows or Linux. In my case linux didn't start the KDE environment right away, so I had to type "startx" after logging in. No problem with the touchpad, buttons, keyboard, even sound worked -- except that plugging my headphone in doesn't seem to disable the speakers.

If anyone has instructions for editing XFree86 for the pen I'd love to see them!

8. justauser

justauser Scribbler - Standard Member

I use Puppy Linux on my 4215. It is small and can run in memory. Boots from USB flash or CD (can be installed to disk).

9. rcampbell

rcampbell Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, l've been using linux (fedora 8 and ubuntu 7.10) on my T4220 for a few weeks now, and most stuff works. The only trouble l've had is with the tablet buttons, adjusting the brightness, and (the worst problem) the cpu frequency scaling is screwed up. For some reason the CPU is stuck at 800MHz.

Has anyone else encountered these, or better yet, found any solutions?

10. rgonzale

rgonzale Pen Pal - Newbie

rcampbell, I was just returning to this thread to say the exact same thing! My CPU is also stuck at 800MHz under Mandriva Linux. It does not scale up to full speed when you run a number-crunching program. I confirmed this by running a benchmark under both Windows XP and Linux: it runs more than twice as fast under XP where the CPU frequency scaling is working correctly. I have been trying to find a solution for a couple of weeks now.

Here is the thread I started at the Mandriva forums:
    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=74382

My latest conclusion is that this is a BIOS bug and we have to wait for the hardware vendor to release a new BIOS update, but I could be wrong.

In the meantime there must be a way to manually set the frequency but I don't understand how to do it with the cpufreq scheme...