Linux Software

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by Kyle Porter, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I am going to try and make a thread that actually gets updated every once in a while. The only requirements here are the following.

Must be supported natively in Linux (any distribution and doesn't require WINE)
    Must be free.

Drawing and Note-taking
    1. Inkscape
    2. Xournal
    3. Blender
    4. GIMP
    5. Xpaint
    6. K-3D
    7. qCAD
    8. LinuxCAD

Instant Messaging
    1. aMSN
    2. Kopete
    3. Banshe
    4. ChatZilla
    5. XChat
    6. Emesene (Highly recommended)

Media
    1. VLC
    2. Amarok
    3. Banshee

Productivity
    1. OpenOffice
    2. Cellwriter
    3. AbiWord
    4. Gedit

Web Browsers
    1. Firefox
    2. Crossover Chromium
    3. Google Chrome (Stable client now avaliable)
    4. Opera

Email Client
    1. Evolution
    2. Thunderbird
    3. Kmail

Misc Tools
    1. X-CD Roast
    2. Wine
    3. Beagle
    4. QTparted
    5. TraffPro

Security
    1. ClamAV

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I will be stopping my Linux project for the next few weeks as i have major items at college to deal with. Thanks for you understanding.

Remember, if you have any suggestions please post them on the thread. I will still try to update in my Linux-absence.

3. Nichod

Nichod Scribbler - Standard Member

A few useful additions...

KRITA - is designed for image editing and drawing with the following advanced features: 16-bit image support, High dynamic resolution images, CMYK and even color management. As part of the KOffice suite it added a full features image editing and draw application - including lots of filters for either serious use or just to play around with. Version 2.0 was recently released and it has made some big leaps including a new plugin system for custom brush engines. I wouldn't recommend running it if you are using standard (Gnome) Ubuntu. As load times will be slow and it has seemed pretty buggy when running under Gnome.

mypaint - a fast and easy open-source graphics application for digital painters. It lets you focus on the art instead of the program. You work on your canvas with minimum distractions, bringing up the interface only when you need it. The brushes and unlimited canvas are two very interesting features. I think of mypaint as the open source equivalent of artrage. It is also available for Windows

Pencil - an animation/drawing software for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. It lets you create traditional hand-drawn animation (cartoon) using both bitmap and vector graphics.

Scribus - an open-source program that brings award-winning professional page layout to Linux/UNIX, Mac OS X, OS/2 and Windows desktops with a combination of "press-ready" output and new approaches to page layout. Underneath the modern and user friendly interface, Scribus supports professional publishing features, such as CMYK color, separations, Spot Colors, ICC color management and versatile PDF creation.

Karbon - a vector drawing application with an user interface that is easy to use, highly customizable and extensible. That makes Karbon a great application for users starting to explore the world of vector graphics as well as for artists wanting to create breathtaking vector art. Part of the same Koffice suite as Krita. It is a bit limited in fuctionality compared to Inkscape.

Gloobus - I use this term to describe both a file previewer and a coverart visual tool for music. This is an incredible slick file viewer that can even preview .psd/pdf files and videos. It functions much like OSX preview with coverflow.

recordmydesktop - this is a useful tool if you want to demonstrate something to someone or just do a recording of your desktop. The name explains it all.