Linux or Vista or XP

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by iRabbit, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poken1151

poken1151 Pen Pal - Newbie

I...I am royally peeved off about whats going on with my tablet. So much problems in less than a day (not to detur future purchasers i just seemed to have had a...strange run), if anyone would like me to tell the tale of how I got here, ill reply or edit with the story, otherwise I just want to know, what do you uys think I should format to.

Linux (ubuntu or whichever is the most user friendly)
    Vista Ultimate (for my desktop but...)
    XP tablet edition (i can buy this for cheap at my local store, I think)

I'm leaning towards xp, but I like vista (I got really used to it), and i have a passing nature with ubuntu, but im will to try it out as long as I can still game, browse and use most of my stuff.

2. MJCS

MJCS Pen Pal - Newbie

Vista...It's tablet functionality is way better than XP!

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't say "way" better, especially if you use ON2007.

I was on Vista for a year and I've switched back to XP. Linux is non-starter for tablet and device support.

4. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

Due to some unknown driver issue Vista currently has a Battery Drain Bug, at least on the Thinkpads, but probably on other devices as well. This is a show stopper for me, as it means 2hours less runtime under Vista. XP in combination with ritePen is probably the way to go for most.
    I am running Xubuntu and can recommend this as it is very functional and responsive and provides best battery runtime of these 3 operating systems. Most things work out-of-the-box but to get the optimal tablet experience it requires a bit of Linux experience and tweaking.

5. KingArthur10

KingArthur10 Pen Pal - Newbie

I would say Vista for it's incredible tablet support. Second: I would say Ubuntu Linux if you're using the C-140X/L. It seem that Alphaswift hasn't used Ubuntu on the C-140X series, or had some freak experiences, as it works like a charm for me. Many people still have it in their head that Linux is a Geek-only operating system. I run it, my wife runs it, my sister-in-law runs it, by brother runs it, and a couple of my friends run it. My wife and my brother have both installed and configured it from scratch with a little help from me. It's not that much harder than a scratch install of XP except this time, most of the drivers are installed off the bat so you don't have to go hunting for drivers ahead of time to have full funtionality. A couple setting changes and you're in business. The only problem I've got in linux (which is suppose to be fixed in future driver releases) is that the ATI proprietary driver doesn't allow screen orientation switching. Other than that, I find it to be almost on par with Vista's tablet support (note almost). If you have any questions about using Ubuntu on the C-140XL, I can produce a step-by-step how-to to configure the system the way I have it configured (as well as some useful software programs to use).

6. pibach

It is much easier to install Linux than XP and by far easier than Vista! Also I had countless issues in Vista - Linux just runs without those issues. Particularly installation/unistallation of apps and updates is just perfectly solved and works flawlessly.

7. KingArthur10

KingArthur10 Pen Pal - Newbie

You're preaching to the choir, brother. But, there are issues that have to be resolved to get everything working perfectly, at least in Ubuntu 7.10 (hopefully they'll be default in 8.04LTS). For instance, you have to edit your xorg.conf file and uncomment the wacom section to enable the touchpad. There are several other minor issues that need to be addressed, but overall, I'd put full configuration on par with fully configuring XP for a novice.

8. pibach

If you do a fair comparison it is far from being on par, imho. Imagine you would have no drivers from manufacturers. And already have a preconfigured OS partition bloated over the HDD. Then try installing XP...
    With Linux you even don't need a boot CD. Just connect to the Internet and press the unetbootin link, then auto-installation does its job.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. poken1151

poken1151 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, you guys are great at convincing so thanks for the many informative (I hate getting responses like "linux, its just cooler") responses. Plus I already have it (but don't use it) on my pc, so i'm definately leaning towards an Ubuntu install.

My only question at the moment is, what kind od software compatibility issues would I run in to? Would i even run in to any? If its a questions of software, my work is mainly in photoshop and corel programs, I do game but nothing big on th elaptop yet, so will that be an issue? I'll watch movies and not a big music fan. I do Like the thought of the better battery life. Besides those things, I do the basics of everything else, I type, I burn, I browse, I work.

So if someone would be kind enough to answer these questions I'll begin my installation tonight....if I can even get my data off the pc, it keeps crashing freezing dieing vominting so i cant burn off my data, gonna try ftp...So, Answers?

10. pibach

The biggest problem is that you probably gathered a lot of knowledge on how to do all your processes in all these app in Windows. You can do all these things in Linux, sometimes you need different apps, but this will require a lot of relearning the processes.

Generally, apps in Linux are much more thought out and functional. So for a total novice, Linux from my perspective is the easiest and most productive. Not taking into account the money you will save...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.