Linux on x86 tablet

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Linux Shaman, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linux Shaman

Linux Shaman Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone been experimenting with Linux on their Intel/Amd tablets?, any words of wisdom?.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

If you just want to browse, it should work. Handwriting and Screen-typing might require extra software and extra patience. I have Mint on my TM2, but I only boot into it on "laptop mode" since the tablet functionality is half-baked.

3. nema.arpit

nema.arpit Pen Pal - Newbie

@Shaman
    Are you talking about a convertible or iPadish tablet? What specific functionality are you looking for?

@e-schreiber
    I dunno about your experience, but I use my T730 mostly in Ubuntu and that includes notetaking. I had similar good experience with my dead TX2 as well. The digitiser part works perfectly out of the box, in-fact I think there is lesser trouble with edge offset in linux. Also, while my laptop does not have touch, I have heard that multitouch is coming along well in linux. Setting up autorotate is not that difficult, there is a very good utility called Magick Rotation which works well. The bezel buttons are the only part that might give you problems.

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, linux-wacom works better than the Windows drivers. I keep thinking I should grab them and try to roll an open-source Windows driver, but my skills are more than a decade out of date there. If there's linux software for what you're doing it's a good option.

5. e-schreiber

Both Pen and Touch work, but without Handwriting Recognition and without a robust on-screen keyboard.

6. Linux Shaman

Linux Shaman Pen Pal - Newbie

Since my last post I've playing around with different Linux configs. I tested Pepermint,Linpus,Kubuntu Plasma Active,Ubuntu12.04,Zorin.
    Just an fyi for anyone interested, Zorin is absolutely the best Linux on tablet solution with touch already enabled, I removed the virtual keyboard that ships installed and replaced it with a Meego virtual keyboard called "Maliit"the ppa for mallit is available on their Launchpad.I went with chromium browser and installed a auto scroll extension for easy scrolling.The experience is much more responsive than under win7 with no compromises in functionality.

7. nema.arpit

nema.arpit Pen Pal - Newbie

Fair point. I do remember seeing a paid option which looked good for handwriting: Handwriting recognition software in Linux Ubuntu - YouTube.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by robust OSK?

8. freewilly

freewilly Pen Pal - Newbie

It would be nice if Linux came with hanwriting recognition 'out of the box' like, say... Windows? Cellwriter is truly lame when it comes to cursive. ..Willy.

9. e-schreiber

Last time I tried it (2 years ago), the on-screen keyboard didn't pop up automatically and had one more quirk that I can't remember anymore.

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yes, the limitations will be the handwriting recognition if you can get it to load and work.

I added that last portion because, as of this writing, if you have an architecture based on Centrino, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, i7, etc. you should be able to get it to work. None of the Atom TabletPC's have a driver available for the integrated graphics chip. The HP Slate 500 has a clugged together third party driver for the video but it is apparently not very good.

Intel was developing MeGO for the Atom platform and refused to allow other Linux installations to use any of the drivers they were developing. When Intel canceled the project they continued to withold the drivers and to this day refuse to allow Linux development on Atom SOC architectures. PowerVR (the maker of the graphics chip on the Atom SOC platforms) has a driver for Android but has been prohibited by Intel from supporting Linux.

This is one of the reasons I no longer trust Intel; they promised repeatedly to support Linux on the Atom but they not only refuse to do so they also refuse to support Windows 7 or 8 as well. Intel's official 'support' for the graphics issues on Atom SOC platforms is 'buy the next version, it will work better....I promise.' They are in the process of botching Cedar Trail right now so the challenges continue....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.