Linux on Toshiba M7

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by BornLoser, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outpour

outpour Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone have any experience getting any distro of linux installed on their M7?

2. pitcherj

pitcherj Pen Pal - Newbie

outpour,
    I'm not sure how many people will have installed linux on the M7 as of yet, but after a little research I've found that someone has installed Fedora Core 5 on an M5, and the hardware is somewhat similar so you could probably use that as a guide. http://dancorkill.home.comcast.net/tecra-m5-on-fc5.html

3. jldugger

jldugger Pen Pal - Newbie

I plan to attempt an Ubuntu install on my M7 this weekend. The liveCD panned out well, so hopefully I can hack everything up and working. The big hurdles of course being wacom functionality, automatic rotates, and the nvidia driver. I know a guy who got it mostly working on an m4, so I'll have some support. I'll post results sometime on Sunday.

4. jldugger

Quick Review
    Extremely functional as a laptop, less so as a tablet. There's still plenty of potential here-- just about everything that doesn't work has vendor support for Linux. RAM usage also falls well below the Toshiba default Windows install. Even after obsssively cleaning out the Windows install, Ubuntu falls in about 150M lower in RAM usage. If TIP can be done in less space than that, fantastic.

What works:
    * the installer, if you select partition manually to resize instead of their quick resize option
    * wifi worked out of the box. wep is supported, haven't had a chance to try WPA1/2.
    * the touchpad worked out of the box, along with edge scrolling
    * 3d accelleration (nvidia-glx package)
    * power management out of the box. last about as long as in windows, amazingly
    * hot plugging usb devices like thumb drives and mice.
    * sound manipulation works

what kinda works:
    * the Fn keys. about half works. the external monitor toggle button, the synaptic toggle button, screen resolution toggle, scroll lock, and zoom-in/out buttons all don't activate anything. Additionally, the two wierd quicklaunch buttons on the side do nothing.
    * the tablet buttons - they do stuff, but not the same things as windows does, and the dpad button isn't mapped to the arrow keys and enter. there's probably a way to set this up but I haven't found it yet.
    * the stylus - It points and left-clicks with the pen just fine, and the GIMP can be configured to look for sensativity. However, GNOME doesn't seem to accept the pen button as right click.
    * rotating the screen (have to set RandRRotation in xorg.conf) - xrandr will rotate the screen, but not the tablet input, making rotate worthless at the moment
    * hibernate / suspend. hibernate works out of the box, but the screen goes off before it actually finishes writing to disk etc. suspend to ram (standby) doesn't seem to work at all at the moment.

What doesn't work:
    * the fingerprint scanner. doesn't work at all. I think it's the same device as the thinkpads, so I may be able to get it working with some hackery. but definately not out of the box, and not out of an installable package.
    * automatically convert into tablet mode. i dont know if theres an acpi event or a accellerometer that needs to be watched, but given that input doesnt work when rotated anyways, this is probably not so bad.
    * recovery partition. apparently between resizing the ntfs partition and overwriting the MBR with grub pissed it off, and it prints in big gigantic letters "WRONG COMPUTER." So make sure to burn those recovery media cds.
    * handwriting integration. afaik, there is no tablet input method for handwriting that integrates into already existing applications on Linux.

I'll post a link to a complete report next weekend.

5. jldugger

You can read the whole report here.

One important note at the bottom of the link is that I got right click working with the pen. It covers both Ubuntu dapper and the upcoming edgy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this has been here for a few days, but I just caught sight of it. Thought I'd say thanks for posting all your trials as I am an avid Linux user and the first thing I'm going to do with I get my M7 is put an Ubuntu build on it.

Thanks for all the info!
    BL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.