Linux on the R1F

Discussion in 'Asus' started by JeromeMorrow, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mthode

mthode Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the touch screen show up as a usb device?

The screen should switch from what I have heard.

Anyone worried about handwriting recognition should know that all I have found is a gesture recognition program called xstroke, not true handwriting recognition. I found a deb file that works on ubuntuforums.com.

Wireless and bluetooth should work with the kernel drivers in the stock kernel.

I have no clue about the fingerprint reader. If anyone who has linux installed on it could run 'lspci' and 'lsusb' in the terminal window and post the output, that would be great.

Thanks

2. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you planning on running ubuntu in the near future? If so, let us know about your experiences as any information would be greatly appreciated.

If you're curious about running Linux in an R1F in general, you can check out this thread to see where this topic has been briefly discussed before. Also, look here to see where one of our members has in fact posted a little bit of info about running Linux on the the R1F.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I really have no way of telling you what works 100% and what doesn't on the R1F in a linux environmment as I haven't tried it myself and no thorough write ups currently exist.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. mthode

mthode Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info.

4. ignacykrasicki

ignacykrasicki Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have time (and skills :) ) to make it all working...
    Wifi and BT works fine.
    No sound.
    Wacom has problem with resolution.
    I haven't done anything about screen switching and recognition.

radek@radek-laptop:~$ lspci
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    0000:00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=IDE (rev 02)
    0000:05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 4222 (rev 02)
    0000:06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 8168 (rev 01)

radek@radek-laptop:~$ lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 004: ID 0bda:0111 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0483:2016 SGS Thomson Microelectronics Fingerprint Reader
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0b05:1712 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 056a:0090 Wacom Co., Ltd
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

5. mthode

mthode Pen Pal - Newbie

6. nash

nash Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

The fingerprint scanner on the R1F is from UPEK. STM is perhaps the foundry that produced it. UPEK has drivers for linux on their site. www.upek.com

Best regards,
    Naresh

7. mthode

mthode Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info but I thought that it was the "SGS Thomson Microelectronics Fingerprint Reader" not a upek one.

8. BornLoser

I don't know how much this will help you since it's for a Toshiba, but perhaps things such as the setting up the dual core (if you haven't done it already) are similar. It's worth taking a look perhaps:

Linux on a Portege

Also...are you sporting 800X600 resolution? If this is the case you're using the VESA driver and need to get Linux to recognize you are using intel's integrated graphics. I'll try to find a how to on this and get it posted later.

Also, I'm looking into your sound issue....perhaps I can find something out.

Good luck

Update: Upon some searching...I found a couple of things that may remedy your sound issue. Check out this post from linux-on-laptops.com to hear others lament about the problem. About halfway down the page there's a guy proposing a solution. You can read his post and see where he links to this site for a proposed solution. The guy sets up his sound on a Dell in Slackware...so I know it won't be as beneficial to you as an Ubuntu walkthrough, but maybe it can get you somewhere. I also found a more general link here it may be your best bet. Hope this helps you.

9. krako

krako Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear friends,

I have been working with the asus R1F for 2 weeks.
    And here is what I have found so far:

Distribution Kubuntu 6.10.

The good news:

What works out of the box or with little configuration:

-Wireless
    -Ethernet
    -Dual processor
    -Hibernate
    -USB
    -SDreader
    -DVD burner and reader (I had to use it once on windows to set up the zone)
    -Bluetooth (a little configuration to use the mouse)
    -Vga: Out of the box it only uses 1024x768. Quite common problem with intel graphics. As posted before 915resolution solves the problem.
    -Rotate screen: with randr
    -Some keys: esc and ctrl-alt-del work out of the box. Maybe rotate screen could work also but needs configuration.
    -External VGA

I have not tried yet:

express card
    TV out
    fingerprint reader

And now the bad news:

What does not work (yet I hope)

-Sound: Out of the box there is no sound. With the latest development drivers from alsa there is sound from the speakers and from the mic jack :confused:. There is no sound from the headphone jack. Moreover the mixer and the sound controls do not control anything. i.e. the volume is fixed. It seems to be a common problem with many laptops with the same sound card/mixer so I hope it will be solved soon.

-Tablet :mad: We are out of luck here. It seems that all the previous tablet pc use a serial port to connect the tablet to the board. The asus r1f seems to be the first model that uses a usb port to connect. The developers of the wacom drivers for linux claim that there is no support for this kind of tabletpc (yet) but I do not know if there is some one working in the needed driver.

Out of the box the tablet seems to work, and it only needs some calibration, but this is not the case. What happens is that x.org treat it as a usb mouse, you can use the pen to move the cursor like using a touchpad.

-Suspend: It hangs the computer. (maybe I have not configured it properly but i'm not a fan of suspend mode)

Conclusion:

Until some one writes the driver for the usb wacom it is a good laptop but a useless tablet.

Krako

10. BornLoser

Your statements about the tablet portion are disheartening...in fact, that combined with no headphone out or ability to control volume almost seems like a deal breaker to me.

Hopefully these issues will get worked out sooner or later, until then I guess I'm stuck in Windows for any serious work I'll need to be doing. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.