Linux on the Galaxy Book 12

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Morning Song, May 10, 2018.

1. Hell-Cat

Hell-Cat Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't like apple ecosystem. I still want to avoid apple. As I decide to become an artist, I sometimes have to make painful choices that hurt my ego.
    Truth doesn't care about what I want to use.
    The truth is that in terms of drawing experience, cintiq and other pen display or tablet devices do not come close to iPad Pro, especially on Linux.

1) Lag // GIMP and Krita aren't as optimized as Photoshop, clip studio paint, and Procreate are. Procreate seems better optimized than Photoshop and clip studio paint when drawing and painting are concerned. You will experience lags on Linux unless you have an extremely powerful computer you probably can't afford. Procreate is quite smooth on iPad Pro 2017. I used to own Cintiq 22HD. Even when GIMP and Krita do not experience lag, Cintiq 22HD itself introduces noticeable input lag which breaks immersion.
    2) Parallax // Cintiq is big, but it has noticeable gap between stylus tip and actual mouse pointer. I don't know much about Galaxy Book 12, but iPad Pro's screen is laminated. On the laminated screen of iPad Pro 2017, there is no perceptible gap between the tip of apple pencil and actual marks on screen. iPad 2018 has a little bit of parallax because it is not laminated.
    3) Driver Support // Linux driver issues make it more difficult to draw on relatively unpopular tablet devices like Galaxy Book 12. I avoid Microsoft Windows, too. I am a fan of Gentoo Linux. But, I may consider using Microsoft Windows if I need to use something like Galaxy Book 12 for Art.

Those 3 factors are deciding factors for serious digital artists. If you didn't want to produce digital art for living, you would have different priorities than I do. Also, iPad Pro is somewhat cheaper than Galaxy Book 12 and Cintiq.

In summary, I want a digital drawing experience as good as pen and paper. Cintiq and Samsung Galaxy Book 12 are not as good as pen and paper in terms of drawing. iPad Pro 2017 is according to digital artists who use iPad Pro 2017 to produce digital art.

If there is a general purpose tablet device that supports Linux well and doesn't have those 3 issues, I will buy it instead of iPad Pro 2018.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There have been a number of very positive reviews of the Wacom Cintiq and latest generation Samsung-Wacom digitizers which have found them to be as good as pen/pencil and paper. It also has better hover distance, and the nibs don't click / shift when one clicks.

Shizaru likes this.
  3. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Dont you found iPad Pro too small for pro?

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've never had the opportunity to play with an iPad Pro, but I'd heard from numerous folks that the nib and screen create a teflon super-slippery feeling which was quite unlike pencil on paper. I'd say "try before you buy". -Though, I also gather that it's probably the best AES system on the market, for whatever that's worth.

For me, having put in tons of drawing time on glass with hard plastic nibs, I'm quite used to low friction. I rather like it. Though I definitely notice a difference between that and the ground glass surface of my Dell Canvas, (which I'm finally getting into the groove with, thank goodness!). They're basically just different tools with different characteristics, and the human brain is quite capable of adjusting for those kinds of variances. Nothing is ever going to be like pencil and paper.., except pencil and paper. I long ago decided to accept that I was drawing with an antenna-pen on a screen, and have come to think that's pretty fun.

You must really not like Windows! It's hard to find fault with that position these days, but man! You take it to another level. -If Linux is first on your list of preferred operating systems and then next is the super-limited iOS where you don't even get to access the file system.., man Redmond must have Done You Wrong.

But yeah, get that iPad Pro 2018! I'm sure everybody here would love to hear your impressions. Maybe some day I'll even get the chance to try one of the old ones! (The high tech gets lower and the cutting edge duller as you retreat to my end of the world.)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  5. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

I prefer other OS to iOS, where I can tweak and add some value to them

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Has anyone got the wifi working in Linux Mint Cinnamon?

I need a dummies guide. I am a complete newbie to Linux.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019