Lightweight laptop for drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Vynru, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Vynru

Vynru Pen Pal - Newbie

I apologize for making yet another post on this forum, but because of some changing circumstances I need your aid yet again.

In November I made a post on this forum, and at the time I went for a Chuwi Hi13 for just some light drawing. It's honestly been pretty good and especially cheap. But now I am planning to travel a lot more from the summer on. So instead of being away for only a couple of hours a day, I might be away from my main computer for several days or maybe months eventually. So where the Chuwi was more than enough before, I don't think it will hold up very well if I depend on it that much.
    Next to that, the microphone broke, otherwise I probably would've just settled with it, but at least this gives me an excuse haha.

Now that my budget is higher, it'll probably be easier to find a good fit. Many advised against the Chuwi Hi13, but for drawing purposes it's been fine for me, so 1024 pen pressure levels would be enough, and I can survive with a glassy feel. Most of all it's very important that the laptop is very light, preferably not heavier than 1.1/1.2 kg (2.4/2.6 pounds), the lighter the better. But on the other hand I like having a keyboard that doesn't just stick on like with Surface Pro-like models, so I can have it on my lap easily (these two are by far the most important things to me). More power is always nice, but it doesn't need to be huge.
    One thing that annoys me is having the screen heavier than the keyboard so I have to press down to keep it in place. So a better weight distribution would be a pro.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    600-800, but I can go up to 1000 or so. But whatever I end up choosing, I'll probably wait for a sale since I don't need the laptop until summer anyway.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No, only new.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Detachable is fine, but it needs to run Windows 10 and have a keyboard it can lean on (so it stays on my lap).

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • ----> 10 to 13-inches <----- (preferably above 11/12 inches actually)
    • Above 13-inches -----> maybe, 14 is still great

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Netherlands

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I'm a fan of Lenovo. I've been looking at the Yoga 730 13 inch with the lowest specs for this, but I'm not sure if it's a good one since I don't hear about it much.
    EDIT: Actually nvm, the 730 seems like a bad idea. I've seen reviews about the screen flickering. I still like Lenovo, though.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    The more the better. At least 6 hours.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Drawing most of the time, as well as some writing. I won't push it with video editing, but if that ends up being possible, I'd definitely be happy.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows 10

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Clip Studio Paint, Discord, Open Office, stuff like that.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Only if it's possible, but it's absolutely not a requirement. Probably unwise since I overworked my arms and shouldn't hurt them by gaming.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    HD and above. I'm a fan of nice displays, but it's not the most important thing. As long as it doesn't have a horrible color inaccuracy, I'm good with it.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    I probably will.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    A pen with pen pressure sensitivity of 1024 and above, above 4k if possible but not absolutely required. No preference other than that, since I apparently didn't have a major problem going from my old Wacom Cintiq 13 to the Chuwi pen.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I don't need a lot of memory. I tend to throw all of my stuff on Dropbox.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    At least one full-sized USB. The rest doesn't matter a lot.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    It would be really cool if the pen could go inside the laptop/be attached to it with a magnet like on the Chuwi, but that's definitely not required.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Maybe average/good sound quality but I can't think of anything else.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 3:55 AM