Lightest tabletPC with DVD playback?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by pakopako, Nov 29, 2012.

1. pakopako

pakopako Pen Pal - Newbie

This might be stretching it a bit, but I am curious to which is the lightest tablet that still has an internal optical drive. Most models with a DVD tend to be past the 4.0 lb / 1.8 kg mark. All the listed tablets, slates, and convertible PCs I've checked that are under that weight limit have clunky port replicators.

General Questions.
    1. What is your budget?
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    9. Do you have an OS preference?

For the sake of this argument, budget is US$100~$1000, no qualms about refurbished or used, and no media preference.

Optimal writing area is 10 to 13-inches.
    No love for Compaq (and their stupid Fn/CTRL/ALT placement instead of CTRL/FN/ALT)

2~6 hours of battery life
    For entertainment purposes (movies, DVD burning); handwriting, sketching and email are secondary
    Preferred OS is Linux (Ubuntu, Arch, Mint, Knoppix). Win7, WinXP and Android are also acceptable.

Screen Specifics
    1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors?
    3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?

The higher the better, minimum of 1024x768. And while it would be amazing to work outdoors, I'll stick with buying an anti-glare protector. Also, Wacom >> N-trig.

Component Specifics
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any?
    Optimally, a BluRay burner, but a DVD-burner is adequate. Minimum 2 full USB ports. Won't say no to added card slots.

2. pakopako

Oops. I meant to say that all tablets and slates that I have seen under 4 lbs have no optical device unless they are paired with a heavy and clunky docking bay.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The only tablet pc's that currently have a DVD player are the Fujistu's in the "t" line-- the t902, 901, 900, 5010, etc. The t902 is noticeably thinner than older varieties at 1.2" thick rather than 1.5", but it's still not under 4 lbs. If you want DVD, that's your best bet.

You could also getting a UltraBase with a Lenovo "x" series tablet (230, 220, 201, 200..). The tablet itself can be as light as 3.5 lbs with the smaller battery (giving around 3 hrs battery life), or 4.0 lbs with the bigger battery and 6-8 hrs battery life, and the UltraBase provides the modularity of a DVD player or an extra HD. However, it's not really portable with the UltraBase attached-- it's quite thick and heavy, and is more of a "desktop" interlocking kind of idea.

It works great as a "home" for the tablet. I occassionally use it around the house to watch DVD's mobilely with my daughter, but its not light weight or thin-- probably adds 3/4" and an extra pound to the x200t.

4. pakopako

Thanks Steve. That's pretty much in line with what I've researched. If a laptop has an internal optical drive (by design or by dock), it's a minimum of 4.5 lbs.