Light windows tablet with best pen performance?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by benny10033, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benny10033

benny10033 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I am choosing a new windows tablet for my sister. Currently targeting on Galaxy book 10.6 and surface pro 4. But there may be other devices unknown to me. Please give me some recommendation.
    General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Under CAD 1000 including pen and kb.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Tablet only, with kb attached.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Canada

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At lest 8 h

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Note taking, light office, youtube, light gaming.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows, the only OS she can work with.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    M$ office, OneNote.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No heavy gaming, does candy crush count?

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    FHD, but open to other options (if needed).

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Not frequently.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes. Pressure sensitivity isn't very important. She has a Bamboo smart AES pen, but she is happy to switch as long as pen performance in writing SMALL words is good.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    At least 32GB SSD.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Port is not a major concern yet.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Very important: Tablet must be light (Surface pro 4 is considered as heavy)
    Computer can last for 5 years. (Also important)
    Support in Canada, it's hard to RMA or repair computer in Canada. It will be better if manufacturer service center exist in Canada.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    The cheaper the better.

Thank you for your help.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The best pen performance goes to Wacom MobileStudio Pro, but that's out of your price range, and you don't need the best pen performance for note-taking. Any device with a Microsoft or Wacom pen will work great for that purpose.

Lighter than SP4, huh? Can't think of anything lighter than the SP4 that's better than the SP4. I think you better go with the SP4, perhaps even a used/refurbished one since they are easy to find and much more inexpensive than new.

3. benny10033

Talked to her about this. The lady's arm can not hold such brick. So surface pro 4 is a no go. What do you think about the Galaxy book 10.6? There are few reviews and nearly none discussion on the flaws of that computer.

Or rather, is there other choices???

Thank you for your input any way.

4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

It's a measly 1/3 lb lighter than the SP4 and you're trading off so much... display size, resolution, processor, RAM... all these cuts for a 1/3 lb, I dunno man.

5. benny10033

Me too, I just don't understand why she thinks SP4 is that heavy. I am looking on other potential targets, such as Surface Pro (coming up) and some Chinese core-m3 books.

6. SteveNYC

SteveNYC Pen Pal - Newbie

Tough request to accommodate. The new Surface Pro weights the same as the Surface Pro 4 at 1.73 lbs. Once you add on the keyboard you're over 2.25 lbs. So I can see wanting something lighter. I just don't think you can get it lower without compromising on some of your other issues (Support in Canada). Plus under CAD 1,000 tell me you're looking in the used device arena. Even then you're still talking MS Surface Pro territory and then the weight issue comes in. I'm with benny10033, the trade-off to go with something like the Samsung Book 10.6 or even the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S (for the lower price).

Weight is everything in this equation. You want below 1.5 lbs and you're looking at a 10" device and typing on an attached keyboard on a 10" device is cramped for many (not all) people. Even the iPad Pro 12.9 is 1.5 lbs.

Might be best to list priority order (weight, price, functionality). Is writing (functionality) more important than weight? Is weight the all consuming issue? Is Windows actually critical or is Office? Right now, the lower price on the Surface Pro 4 makes it the one to beat. Other than that, you're walking into iPad land or even Chromebook territory.

7. benny10033

Thanks for the replay. Here is one bizarre thing I noticed.

Went to bestbuy with her, but noticed something very strange.

Two computer with same weight, one feels heavier than the other?!

For example: Pavilion x2 12 (no kb) vs SP4(still a bit heavy)
    She thinks SP4 is lighter!

I really don't understand this, is this some strange physics thingy?

And the priorities, the very reason she is throwing away her current computer is the heavy weight and poor pen performance.

Do you guys have similar experience? Same wight, different feel?

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Yeah.
    I have an iPad Pro and Surface Book: even if the tablet portion of the Book is actually heavier it feels lighter than the iPad in my hands.

9. benny10033

Do you have idea what causes you to feel like that? Is it related to the size of the computer?

I am spotting for surface pro 4 discounts persuading her to consider SP4. Her current computer is breaking down on its own now.

10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Some non-computer advice: don't buy people hardware they don't like. They'll be stuck with it for years. Either stay out of it completely (too late now...) or buy what they like. If they regret it, at least it was their decision.

colanah and SteveNYC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.