Life expectancy of tablet?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by darkphantom, Jan 23, 2011.

?

How long can your Tablet satisfy your tablet needs?

1. 1 year

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. 2 years

23 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. 3 years

32 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. 4 years

23 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. 4+ years

27 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. cinohpa

cinohpa Pen Pal - Newbie

So I'm pretty new to tablets. I've been researching for the past 3-4 months and think I will be getting a T2010.

How long do you find your tablets can serve your tablet pc needs?

2. wmm

wmm Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Toshiba Portege M200 that I bought four years ago. It still served my needs well; I only upgraded to my current T4220 because my boss encouraged me to. Although the T4220 is, of course, a step up in just about every way, I was still using the M200 productively and probably would have continued to do so for a couple more years, I'd guess.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

It is mostly going to depend on build quality, and how you take care of your machine, but i think you're starting out well with a fujitsu machine. Something else to consider however, is that even though, the machine might still be working, with advanceents in technology etc, new operating systems, would you want to keep it past 2- 3 years?

That said i easily think it can go past 4 years.

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

That's a point I always try to bring up to people. It's almost a burden to keep a computer around for more than 3 years.

My tablet is about 2 years old, and I could see using it for another year, but I don't think I'll keep using it for 4 years. It's not that it won't work, it's that there will certainly be a tablet that's better in every way, and I'm going to want a backup.

To keep my tablet feeling fresh, the hard drive was upgraded to a 7200 rpm drive, and the memory is up to 2 gigs. The memory will be upgraded further in the near future, and I'll probably upgrade to a much faster SSD in about a year. If I buy a new tablet, the SSD will be immediately installed in the new computer. I may also try to make my tablet more bearable by polishing the heat sink and putting AS5 on it. All my changes are meant to increase speed AND improve battery life....although the battery benefits of a 7200 rpm drive are debatable.

I'll eventually upgrade to a new tablet for a better screen.....brighter, more resolution, and lower power consumption.

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I will upgrade... once I can afford a new tablet. Which won't be for another 2 years or more.

At the moment the T4210 is still running fine, though occasionally certain tasks (usually multiple file I/O operations plus some encoding, media-playing etc - yeah, I abuse it quite a bit) still bring it to its knees. I'm planning an SSD upgrade as well as a thermal compound swap once its warranty runs out.

I can see myself using it for another 2 years or more, as long as I keep it on XP =P

6. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

Depends on the software you run. If you're pushing your hardware now and like to upgrade your software you'll need to upgrade your hardware too. But if you're just note taking and running office apps the sky's the limit.

Gordon

7. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

The amount of time that a tablet/convertible will last you depends on the same things that a normal laptop would depend on. If you buy one that is very fast it will last you a while longer than if you buy one that is slow but cheaper. Tablet PC graphics chips tend to suck too so if you decide you need better graphics you might decide to upgrade - but that would be true of any laptop with integrated graphics. :)

The only other possible reasons I believe would cause me to upgrade are if a computer is released that has all the features that the T4220 has in addition to having a digitizer similar to the new Dell tablet, having a better battery life, and weighing less. I also would really love an S-video port!

(also, while I'm dreaming about this stuff, throw in a Blue-Ray player and TV-Tuner)

8. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

Strictly for note taking a tablet can last for life(as long as they don't break down). Especially on newer machines with core 2 duo, they are quick enough to run onenote without any problems. I will only replace my T2010 if it breaks because it has no problems regarding performance, battery life, weight, heat and noise(which I silenced by putting in a different fan). It is essentially perfect for what I use it for which is note taking.

9. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Eventually mechanical problems will cause the computer to fail. I see the following things quickly going wrong after 4 years of daily use.

1. Hinge will wear out or break
    2. Monitor cables will crack
    3. Backlight will burn out
    4. An electrical whisker will fry the electronics
    5. Internal cables and hardware will unplug due to heat creep and vibrations
    6. Fan will break
    7. Hard drive will break

Most of these things aren't worth dealing with on an old computer. It may not be very expensive to fix one problem, but you can bet that another problem will happen soon after, followed by another, and another...

10. fuzi

fuzi Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd guess about 4 years, barring major mishaps, mainly because I used my tablet,a T4215, as a stack of paper. Of course, i *did* only have my T4215 for about 16 months due to a short (ha!) run in with salty, starchy water.. Come year 4, i think it would've started getting a bit long in the tooth, and i'd be looking for a replacement somewhere through that year.

Just for reference as, my short-term replacement for the T4215 was a 2nd hand Acer C300 which itself is about 4 years old. Some applications are a tad slower than I care for, granted, but for 99% of what i do (office applications, reading through webpages, magazines, and some light coding) the computing capacity is more than adequate.

The reason i'm not retaining it as my primary machine relate to mainly physical characterisics (weight, size, view angle, screen resolution) which date but not quite in the same way as computing power.