Let's Note CF-XZ6 coming to Europe!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Critical Observer, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Critical Observer

Critical Observer Pen Pal - Newbie

...predictably re-branded as "Toughbook". Story here (and elsewhere):

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Panasonic-Toughbook-CF-XZ6-announced.230102.0.html

Some preliminary notes:

- The markets it's going to be available in are not mentioned but it would seem a rather comprehensive release is forecast, at least in Europe; no word on US availability.

- The story points to "July" release; however, I was in talks with the local representative here in Finland today and as per him, the first units will be delivered to customers "by November".

- Considering above, it's rather unfortunate they only made up their mind on the international launch now and not earlier... As by November, the domestic market in Japan will probably have their paws on XZ7.

- Pricing seems rather audacious; however, the model being given the "Toughbook" tag and the targeted customer-base being businesses and the fabled "mobile professionals", this was entirely predictable.

The user @FenderP posted his impressions as well as video-clips on the Japanese version of this model in another thread, go check 'em out.

kvoram likes this.
  2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Part of me thinks it's great that this is coming to Europe, I just wish the Toughbooks weren't so friggin' expensive.
    The base configuration, i5, 8GB, 256GB, is 2080 € pre-tax.

Can't find the screen brightness immediately, I wish they would add the screen from the CF-33. With 1200 cd/m² I could laugh at the sun while it is shining at my screen....
    With the whole movement toward mobility in computing over the past few years, I don't understand why noone comes out with a Windows tablet with a outdoor-readable display.

While I don't "need" the ruggedness, I just want this kind of keyboard dock with full-sized ports galore, 2nd (swappable) battery and the dock being able to hold the tablet upright without a kickstand. Though I still want a kickstand for tablet-only usage. The lack of TB3 also disappoints even though I understand it given the target market.

At least for the Surface Pro, given how many units have been sold, I would have expected a third party dock for power users by now.

3. Critical Observer

Critical Observer Pen Pal - Newbie

Good point, I was kind of assuming it would be the same display they use in CF-33 but indeed there's no evidence it actually is.

The story of this launch kept developing today as I had further correspondence with the local representative:

- Now the "official" word is first units will be delivered in "September - October" time-frame...

- ...but that's not the headline, the headline is that at least for us up here in the north only ONE configuration, always with 4G LTE modem, will be available, at a cool 2500€ a pop... PRE-TAX! Yikes! It's quite likely the nicest device in its class but by golly, add VAT and you're looking at expenditure not far removed from the CF-33 territory. :vbeek:

I was all set to become the first person pre-ordering this today but my wallet suggested I should sleep on the decision. :vbrolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  4. Sergei

Sergei Toughbook User

I'm always drawn to Toughbooks, despite the mad prices. I'd say I don't "need" the ruggedness either - but I do need a computer to bring pretty much anywhere, and Toughbooks have survived many incidents that would probably have killed daintier machines. So it probably was an economy on the long run.

And I love their eccentricity. A round touchpad - why not!?

Anyword on whether the pen interface is EMR or AES?