lets make a petition for lenovo to add option in bios to switch fn and ctrl key

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Spare Tire, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

like it says in the title
    anyone knows how to make a petition?

2. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

Is there any way you can change the keys in the keyboard settings of your control panel? then just switch the buttons?

3. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

There are various applets out there that i don't know of that can let you map your keys, but a low level bios switch would be a much more elegant solution.

4. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i take it the Fn is on the outside and the CTRL is on the inside? I hate that on the GW Ive got. My last dell had it swapped. Now I have to concentrate to not extend my pinkie and hit the Fn.

5. jenarelJAM

jenarelJAM Scribbler - Standard Member

I think if I switched back now, I would be hopelessly confused. I've gotten to the point where when I use a "normal" keyboard, I press the Windows button on accident because I thought ctrl was there...

Seeing as the physical buttons are the same size, it makes sense that you could just switch them if you could map the keys...

6. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

There are two ways:

The more difficult way of traveling to each and every single Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet PC user, or rather a random pedestrian traveling down the sidewalk, and getting their signature on a piece of paper. Oh, and perhaps the most costly way. :)

Or, online from a free petition creation site like Care2 (formally known as The Petition Site). ;)

7. keith11

keith11 Scribbler - Standard Member

This would be a little off-topic but I think the issue which really qualifies for a petition is that of the SXGA+ screens coming off the bezels. Why don't we start a petition for that? As far as I know and have read on this forum, so many X61t owners are facing the problem. I am one of those who has had the laptop for 10 days now and have just started seeing the screen issue but I know many people saw it right away or just in a few days of ownership.

Something really has to be done about this and the really disappointing customer service. I don't know if anyone has noticed but Lenovo has actually received an award for customer service; threw you back huh? It's true. I don't know why and how. If anyone is aware about the merger of Daimler and Chrysler and later the highly publicized fiasco leading to their separation, don't you think this is something like this in the process? Oh well, I hope the screen issue gets resolved soon, at least for those people who have been waiting for their tablets after sending them in for weeks now.

Keith.

8. recycle

recycle Pen Pal - Newbie

As John McEnroe would say, "You can't be serious!" :D

Actually, for all the trouble I've had, I would say customer service is decent. It's really manufacturing quality/management that I think is bad, IMO.

9. keith11

keith11 Scribbler - Standard Member

Again, at the risk of taking this topic astray, didn't people pay for the "high build quality" when they bought a Lenovo machine? They should excel in that field as they are most known for that. As for customer service, I had Toshiba pay for my rented laptop when my laptop was sent in for repairs and it took more than they estimated due to delay in receiving parts. Of course I had to shout at them, but they did pay for that. One of the times my Toshiba was in for repairs, I just asked to replace the two 256 MB RAM sticks with one 512 MB. They put in the 512 stick AND returned both the 256 MB stick to me for FREE!

So the point is, other manufacturers can offer great customer service too but a business should never drift away from it's niche, which, in Lenovo's case is/was the build quality and the durability.

Keith.