Lenovo Yoga Book with Wacom digitizer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Look at the size of those bonkers! That's got to be at least .8" on a 10" screen, even the SP4 only has .6" bezels on a 12.5" screen. The bezels are far in excess just for grip-ability.

Secondly, examine the cramped drawing experience this creates:
    [​IMG]

The whole point of separating the drawing plane from the viewing plane, is to enhance precision beyond what a 1:1 pen-canvas ratio would provide. This is a major reason why some artists prefer using Intuos' over Cintiqs. But if you are going to work super zoomed-in like that, you want as large a screen as possible.

Since the primary designed use-case of this device is clamshell mode, a bezel-less screen like on the Dell's InfinityEdge seems far more appropriate:
    [​IMG]

Doesn't that look a lot better (for Intuos-style drawing or typing) than the picture above?

True enough. But even Microsoft did not get this kind of exposure with the Surface line, and they have deeper pockets and media clout than Lenovo.

Simultaneous mainstream news interviews and features on CNBC and BBC? I think there's something else going on here besides just marketing dollar.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think most journalists would be intrigued by the audacity of introducing a keyless keyboard, if only to slam it when it proves to be unsatisfactory for heavy typing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, I would argue that "hype" is the bread and butter for the media as much as for the manufacturers' marketing teams. I mean when I look at the blogosphere or whatever to call it, hyperbole seems to be the norm instead of actually researched facts.
    If a manufacturer screams "revolution", sadly you will hear that repeated by a lot of so-called journalists and bloggers without any reflection.

4. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

As a (still new and learning) tech-journalist, I can say that journalism in the tech-media has lost much of its soul in the last years. Mainly due to the phenomenon called "clickbait", where getting clicks is more important then providing real news, facts and analysis. Instead, even the smallest rumors are being pushed out as "news". The same goes for just copying the manufacturers marketing slogans without any real "journalism" behind.

I tried the Yoga Book last week in Berlin, and I think its a nice gadget. Certainly not something I would get, because I need my physical keyboard of course. But I am also not Lenovos main target market here.

Market will decide if the Yoga Book is useful or more gimmicky. Its a gamble really, Lenovo is pushing much of its marketing budget and efforts into it. If you watch the media, you will notice that the Yoga Book got much more attention, and also has received more ads from Lenovo then the Yoga 910 also announced on IFA. So they are taking a big risk here, they are hoping the Yoga Book can be a category-defining product.

WillAdams, gcoupe and kvoram like this.
  5. Marty

Microsoft screamed "revolution" with the introduction of the Surface, yet I did not hear any news outlets blindly echoing that.

That's the thing though, if you read journalist impressions or watch hands on video, they either gloss over this fact or just briefly mention "it may take getting used to". Then they point out how cool the smooth construction of the keyboard portion is.

When MS introduced the Touch Cover? Practically every reviewer slammed it for offering a sub-par typing experience, rather than emphasizing how truly revolutionary the keyboard/cover hybrid design was.

So basically what I'm asking is what magic sauce is Lenovo using to gain the positivity from the mainstream news outlets, where previous similar devices were met only with a obliviousness or skepticism?

6. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Big marketing effort, as I mentioned. Plus, I just think its just the right product at the right time. Whole year has been dominated by mostly very small incremental updates in the tech-world, so I guess some people are craving for something new, innovative, yada yada, you get the point. While the features this device has are not new (the paper to digital transfer was already explored with the IBM ThinkPad Transnote a long time ago), they certainly are in this kind of package.

And its also not like this device will give you a "bad" hands-on experience. Its really nice in its handling & quality, and performance at least isn´t completely awful, despite the low-end CPU. So I can see some of the colleagues who are less set on the necessity of a physical keyboard get excited and really positive about it.

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

In fact, some people completely fall in love with it. :eek:

8. Marty

I cannot imagine how much further along the 2-in-1 market would be, if a single article like that had been written about the SP1.

This is getting more love from the media than the iPad Pro. Astounding.

9. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Problems with yogabook -
    1. No digitizer in the screen
    2. No real keyboard
    3. All it has is a glorified EMR based createpad or old school pen tablet works for art but not for handwriting.
    4. One has to use paper still.

A redeeming point- Anypen technology is there in the display. But there are problems with Anypen technology too-
    1. Sample rate is just 12p Hz as is for all touch inputs
    2. No pressure sensitivity. It doesn't matter much for note taking though but it makes it visually pleasant.
    3. No palm rejection - it can be solved by leather gloves though. Which can be problem in summers.. making ur hands clammy.

10. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

These are marketing strategies, that rely on creating an illusion of capabilities that the product is not capable of. Average consumer who is not that technologically literate. They often read such misguiding articles, and open Amazon app and order it. The article itself falsely states that "just like Note7 and Surface pro 4". So, the reader assumes it's a disruptive new technology, that will bring the function of SP4 or Note7 on a cheaper price point. Often such aticles are writen buy freelance journalists who themselves do not understand technology and are paid for by manufacturers.

Until recently most people believed that if they buy an Spen they can write on other samsung tablets.

Internet is the new version of village fairs, where you will find merchants selling elixirs from distant lands concocted from a rare herb available at disruptive prices, which can treat UTI to baldness.

This yogabook is one such way to scam students who do not have the money to buy the real things like TPY 260, and SP4.