Lenovo Yoga Book with Wacom digitizer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just want to expand on this a bit with a quote from this article:

"Like Microsoft’s Surface or Samsung’s Galaxy Note line, the Yoga Book comes with an active digitizer that allows you to write on the screen. The Yoga Book uses Wacom’s EMR pen technology, allowing you to write or draw on the screen with 2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity and 100-degree angle detection.

If you forget the pen at home, the tablet’s screen also features Lenovo’s unique Write Anywhere screen technology, which allows you to use any metal object — even a ballpoint pen — to write on the screen as if it was a stylus."

So basically, the known info suggests that this little puppy has a whopping 4 digitizer layers:

• Traditional EMR board (behind screen)
    • Resistive/Capactive Write Anywhere touch layer (on top of screen)
    • EMR film layer (behind 'Halo' keyboard)
    • Resistive/Capactive Write Anywhere touch layer (on top of 'Halo' keyboard)

I'm starting to get pretty intrigued by this device... :vbwink:

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No brah... IPS screen only has touch layer that can be used with any conductive material. No EMR.

The only EMR film layer is in that keyboard section.

3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

The Wacom stylus may be registered on the display if it's conductive (I guess the ink pen tip will). None of the EMR features though.

4. Tams

For it's use cases, an recent Atom is fine. Any of the 'core' CPUs would not only greatly decrease battery run-time, but also necessitate a larger chassis in order to remove the heat. Even then, it would likely throttle a lot, especially if it was fanless.

I really don't understand this attitude that existing products should be changed to something completely different. Wanting a device that has some of the same features? Fine. Wanting a device to be changed to something completely different? Fuzz off.

5. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have a Thinkpad 8 with Z3795 and 4GB RAM and yes videoediting is possible but even my "old" I3-3227 feels like it is 100 times faster.

So if you edit a video every now and then, fine, but don't expect it to be good at that.

If he meant to watch 1080p, that is really no problem.

6. az1787

az1787 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you! I will Take LYB for my school job with children to create Classroom journals and some times to make stories%brickfilm in fullhd. Now I Hope that usb is "hub-able" to Connect Reflex and Usb hard drive.

7. Marty

The previous quote said you could "write or draw on the screen with 2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity"—that sounds a lot like EMR to me.

However, I do think there might be some miscommunication going on here (ahh Lenovo ;)). For example, I'll give another quote, directly from a Lenovo press release:

"The multi-use keyboard and real-pen accessory recreate the natural feel of drawing flat on a paper surface instead of directly onto a computer screen, without having to block parts of the art work with the hand or stylus. Or you can draw directly on the screen as well, depending on preference. The real-pen accessory can draw with the precision of a pencil or paintbrush, with 2,048 pressure levels and 100-degree angle detection. In addition, you’ll never have to charge or replace it – the real-pen accessory doesn’t require batteries and its ink can be replaced with standard ink tips, just like that of a conventional pen."

So is that referring to the pen drawing on the screen with pressure and tilt? I think most people would infer just that.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Lenovo F'd up bad with that press release. The IPS only has touch. Plenty of videos confirm this.

9. Marty

I don't understand why Lenovo would include such large bezels, if not to accommodate an EMR board? :vbconfused:

Without the bezel restriction for edge accuracy, why not go something far more elegant and "book"-like, like the HiSense Vadaa:
    [​IMG]

As this seems marketed for art use:
    [​IMG]
    it seems like such as wasted opportunity either way...I'm sure a lot of artists-on-the go could use a cool "mini-Companion/Intuos" hybrid, but just an Intuos grafted to a claustrophobic screen? Heck, at least give us the ability to use it with another PC then!

Also, looking at the crazy amount of recent news coverage, people are talking about it like its the first 'revolutionary' tablet / physical notepad hybrid or something.

But this 'tablet folio' concept has been done (better) way before, in the HP Pro Slate 8 and 12.
    [​IMG]
    HP used a more elegant ultrasonic pen solution, meaning you could write on paper placed anywhere near the tablet, not just on top on a restricted digitizing surface.

Can somebody explain the current media hype?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  10. Tams

I can understand the bezels. Those other tablets you have shown look pretty annoying to hold. For phones it's okay (well until you look at the structural integrity of them), but for 10"+ tablets a very thin bezel is not nice. Hell, I found it annoying on phones.

The HP Pro Slate does require you to have the paper lined up otherwise the sensors can detect where you pen is. Sure, you don't need to write on a specific surface, but it's almost as limited. You also get less than stellar results when it is not used flat. It's not a bad tablet; it's not really better nor worse (other than being Android only).

The media haven't really been paying much attention to tablets outside of Apple and Samsung and are often deeply ignorant of them unless a PR essentially screams down their ears and fills their eye balls. Lenovo also see to have been on a big PR push over it; so combine that with something much of the media haven't seen much of and it gets the hype it does.