Lenovo Yoga Book with Wacom digitizer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Another device with an external graphics tablet is going to be rather cumbersome in comparison. This is far more compact.

As to whether there is a market for this; there is, but it's probably not that big. That said, the publicity it's getting might boost sales.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly, the HPE8N was almost there for me except the 32inch storage and the fact that they should have gone for the higher power Atom X7. Not sure if Atom sports 4gb ram. That's all I need to achieve my dream 8" windows device. An extra would be to round out the square edges.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

4. Steve S

And I just noticed this Lenovo comment:

"...Roughly the size of a conventional ink pen, the real-pen accessory is powered by Wacom feel IT technologies to work with the state-of-the-art electro-magnetic resonance (EMR) film housed within the multi-use keyboard..."

This might explain the slim-ness of some smartphones that feature EMR pens. EM dipoles (say), etched on a film substrate, would be dramatically thinner than an etched circuit board approach. And it's possible that this might actually encourage renewed interest in using EMR in tablets, too...

WillAdams and Marty like this.
  5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The EMR film goes all the way back to Toshiba Portege 3500 at Tablet PC launch in 2002. Ever take one of those apart? Instead of a sturdy EMR board, you find a flimsy EMR film that is prone to failure. No Portege 3500 I know survived without a strip or two of dead zone for the pen, mine included.

These might fare batter since they seem solidly trapped in the bottom. It was not doing well in those flexy 3500 LCD sections.

Starlight5, WillAdams and Marty like this.
  6. Steve S

Just a thought, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that this is the same technology as it existed in 2002. The film itself might be similar, but many other features may be (probably are) different...

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Doubtful. Their boards really don't ever change much. Most of the improvements have come from pen load sensor and firmware. UD EMR boards still have the same hardline specs as back in 2002: ~500 lines per inch accuracy, 133Hz post rate etc...

I think the film will be fine in this application. it was a poor choice on a 2 in 1 convertible with pretty flexible LCD section that twists and closes. This is a rigid bottom section that hardly moves.

8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd only buy this if the keyboard part thingamajig could also scan the paper you're putting on top of it so it immediately digitized physical paper documents along with inking.

9. justpick1

justpick1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Your comment has me thinking that this just might be the elusive unicorn, albeit a low powered one. Here's why:
    • Proper clamshell design - you don't need a case, you don't need a kickstand, you don't need an external (BT) keyboard, you don't need a mouse (Halo trackpad), Yoga modes, perfectly lapable and 180 for lying in bed with access to the keyboard and touchscreen with knees bent.
    • Battery-less stylus (Wacom EMR ?)
    • HDMI onboard in the keyboard section, along with USB (full size, of Type-C?)
    • Dual cameras (8 MP "back camera" when the book is closed in the tablet position)
    • Traditional pen to paper is digitized in the keyboard section (apparently this is done even when the device is in tablet mode and is asleep!!)
    • Perfectly acceptable tablet weight of 680 grams; less than 1cm thick and 16:10 aspect ratio
    • LTE option
    • Office Lens takes care of the scanning/digitizing, which is not only the missing piece, but integrates with the Cloud and Office 365
    Edited, because bullet points are my friends :)

Bronsky likes this.
  10. Tor

Tor Pen Pal - Newbie

Just found up about it. And I like it a lot.
    My only grip is they went only half the way in. Atom? Average spec digital panel?
    They could have stuffed a state of the art tablet under there, and focus on the inking experience.

Thought nobody would ever build it. I´m eager to read some "artistic" hands-on the thing.

PS: It really just takes a couple of hours to train the eye panel coordination, and after a couple of weeks you wont feel a difference. And you will be free of expensive laggy tech, and your hand in the way :)