Lenovo Yoga Book with Wacom digitizer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Since they are going for the "Halo" look, I believe a low-res monochrome OLED layer (like on some smartwatches) would have been perfect for allowing infinite keyboard options.

This is such a great missed design opportunity.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. mistake the mizan

mistake the mizan Pen Pal - Newbie

Absolutely. An arbitrarily desgined "physical virtual keyboard" would make this an instant purchase for me.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Quistnix

Quistnix Pen Pal - Newbie

They'll probably pull an Apple and add that in the next version.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A pen-abled, touch-sensitive e-ink display instead of the "etched" keyboard would have been lovely.

Working as a dedicated ebook reader and switching keyboards, ideally with a program to generate own layouts and and switching between those dependeing the program used. Even if that cost 100 bucks more, it would be worth it.
    And maybe slap another 50 bucks on the price and put that EMR layer in the display as well, and call it the Pro version.

FZelle, Quistnix and WillAdams like this.
  5. kvoram

For those still curious about this interesting but strange conception, apparently some NDA for reviews was lifted at release because suddenly reviews are appearing everywhere at the same time. A review-roundup:

MobileTechReview: Lenovo Yoga Book Review
    What's Hot:
    Fantastic futuristic design, excellent build quality. Bright IPS display, 2 digitizers for pen. Very light and portable. Good battery life, low price.

What's Not:
    Capactive keyboard and trackpad are trying. No palm rejection or pressure sensitivity for display digitizer. CPU fine for Android, slow for Windows.

The Lenovo Yoga Book stirs emotions like few other recent pieces of consumer electronics. Practicality or need be damned--I just want one! I seriously applaud Lenovo for taking a chance on a product like the Yoga Book, and I want them to continue evolving it. It has a lot of promise, but right now I feel that the Windows version is an answer to a problem few of us had--the main advantage of the virtual keyboard beyond good looks is that it allows for a rigid yet insanely thin laptop. Unless you type very little, I'm not sure it's worth the tradeoff. Maybe we'll see laptops of the future with something like Force Touch for the keyboard that will make typing easier and more natural. The Create Pad feels like an unwanted revival of the old USB Intuos digitizers when most of us would rather write and draw directly on screen. Of course, you can do that here, but the screen's digitizer lacks palm rejection and pressure levels, so that's not great--no variable line width and no resting your hand on the screen. In its current iteration, the trackpad borders on being a torture device.
    On the plus side, the Yoga Book is wildly affordable for a convertible with this sort of cutting edge design, build quality and dual digitizers. If you're an Android tablet person, you know that Samsung hasn't updated the Galaxy Note tablets is a long time, so it's great to see a new pen-centric tablet hit the market. The display is lovely and its brightness and color gamut matches $1,000 competitors. Battery life is stellar and the tablet is cool running and silent. The Yoga Book is also extremely portable given its small 10.1" footprint, light weight and slim design--it's a take anywhere product.

Score: 3.5/5, Full Review: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Lenovo-Yoga-Book.htm
    Engadget: Lenovo's futuristic Yoga Book is a novelty item not worth buying yet
    Pros
    • Sleek, compact design
    • Unique pen-and-paper integration
    • Long-lasting battery
    Cons
    • Very difficult to type on
    • Some software glitches in the Android version
    • Middling performance
    The Lenovo Yoga Book, available with either Android or Windows, is a compelling hybrid device -- at least on paper. It ditches a physical keyboard for a touch-sensitive surface that does double duty as a keyboard and digital sketchpad. With the included stylus, you can draw on the deck, even when the tablet is asleep, and your notes will still be saved. You can even write on real paper and convert your scribblings to digital. Still, none of these writing features make up for the terrible typing experience. Although it scores points for novelty, the Yoga Book is too unreliable to be a true productivity machine.​

Gizmodo: The Lenovo Yoga Book Is the Future of Laptops, But It's Missing an Operating System
    • Design is epically cool
    • Available in a Windows flavor starting at $550 and an Android flavor starting at $500.
    • The Halo Keyboard is a great idea, but slow, and saddled with a truly awful layout that will lead to many mistypes
    • Android is still not meant for laptops
    • Windows is still not great for Atom-processors
    • This little guy is just too futuristic
    Full Review: http://gizmodo.com/the-lenovo-yoga-book-is-the-future-of-laptops-but-its-1787858849
    The Verge: Lenovo Yoga Book review: the unbearable lightness of computing
    Good Stuff
    • Super thin and light
    • Accessible price
    • Futuristic keyboard
    • Long battery life
    Bad Stuff
    • Lack of ports (especially USB-C)
    • Intel Atom processor
    • Tiny design quirks
    • Software needs work
    Because of stuff like this, it’s hard to recommend that someone should run out and buy the Lenovo Yoga Book right now. Lenovo has said that it plans to build a family of Yoga Book devices, and this feels very much like the first generation of that. It needs refinement. It needs more intuitive software. Maybe a couple more ports, too, even though that may mean sacrificing thinness.
    But the Yoga Book also feels like the more natural evolution of a product category that has been puttering along the past few years, and that’s pretty exciting. Also, have I mentioned how cool it looks?

Score: 7.5/10 , Full Review: http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/17/13289506/lenovo-yoga-book-review

Android Central: Lenovo Yoga Book review: Almost amazing
    Pros
    • Unique design
    • Highly functional pen interface
    • Quality stereo speakers
    Cons
    • Mediocre battery life
    • Lenovo's additional software is of inconsistent quality
    It's not hard to say this is the best Android tablet you can buy today, but recognizing what a low bar that is and how many things are still not ideal with this experience is frustrating. Our friends at Windows Central recently reviewed the Windows 10 variant of the Yoga Book, and I found myself regularly wondering how much better this already great piece of hardware would be if it weren't running Android.
    Lenovo might be able to force a few more apps to behave with software updates, and Android Nougat may be able to extend battery life a little, but at the end of the day most Android apps are just plain not great for tablets and frankly I'm tired of creating excuses for why that is. Android is awesome for phones, and Yoga Book makes it painfully clear the same can't be said for tablets.

Should you buy it? Probably not.

Make no mistake, this is an amazing piece of hardware. Lenovo has clearly outdone themselves in design. If you really want Android to run on your laptop and don't care that apps are going to misbehave left and right, this is without a doubt the machine for you. If you're in love with this hardware and want an OS that actually makes sense in this form, the Windows Yoga Book is available right now and is a lot easier to recommend.​

Windows Central: Lenovo Yoga Book review: folding up the future
    The Lenovo Yoga Book is an interesting device. It's a beautiful, premium-feeling 2-in-1, with tablet-class specifications. It's rocking a futuristic Halo Keyboard and Create Pad that's excellent for note-takers and artists alike, but not great for those who need to get real-work done such as typing an article/report or editing a video.
    There are issues with the trackpad, I personally think it's too small, and some software configurations can make it frustrating at times — it's too hard to reenable after it's disabled by typing, it's missing double-tap-and-drag support, and the buttons are weirdly positioned to the sides. Some of that might be fixable via a software update, other parts you'll just have to get used to.
    Outside the issues with the trackpad, I've enjoyed my time using the Yoga Book. I'll be keeping mine around, and using it on the go when I need to travel light. It can do basic tasks well, and you'll look good doing it. Just don't push it too hard or plan on typing for long periods with it.
    In short, this is my new favorite 2-in-1, and for doing light tasks and watching video content, this is a great device.
    Do I think it's worth the price? That depends. If you have $600 to spend on your only computer, I wouldn't recommend you spend it on such a niche product. But if you're looking for Windows tablet built with the sketching artist in mind, or a compact tablet you can easily take on the go while leaving your big, powerful laptop at home, then Yoga Book is a great choice at a surprisingly affordable price.​

Laptop Mag: Lenovo Yoga Book (Windows) Review
    The Pros
    Superthin, ultralight chassis; Vibrant screen; Create Pad and Real Pen deliver fluid, accurate writing; Solid performance; Long battery life​
    The Cons
    Difficult to type on Halo Keyboard; Can't write on display with the stylus​
    Verdict
    The Lenovo Yoga Book is an insanely thin convertible that combines a laptop, digital sketchpad and notebook, but forget about touch typing on it.​
    Score: 3/5, Full Review: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-yoga-book-windows

Wired: Review: Lenovo Yoga Book : Flex Play
    Wired
    A truly beautiful little gadget. Incredibly adaptable. A better stylus and digitizer than you'd expect for the price. Makes a stab at the future.​
    Tired
    The Halo keyboard is barely usable. Being pretty good at a lot of things is no substitute for being great and something.​
    Score: 6/10, Full Review: https://www.wired.com/2016/10/review-lenovo-yoga-book/
    Cnet: Lenovo Yoga Book review: A digital canvas with a vanishing keyboard
    The Good
    This is a very slim, very light hybrid laptop, available in both Windows 10 and Android versions. The backlit touch keyboard vanishes at the touch of a button and the included stylus works well on both the Wacom surface and with an ink tip on actual paper.​
    The Bad
    The keyboard isn't suited for more than minimal typing, there's only a single Micro-USB port for accessories and charging, and the Atom processor is slower than mainstream laptops. The hefty pen, extra tips and paper pad are a lot of additional gear to carry around.​
    The Bottom Line
    Lenovo's slim Yoga Book two-in-one is great with a pen, but its faux keyboard keeps it from being a practical laptop.
    Score: 7.8/10, Full Review: https://www.wired.com/2016/10/review-lenovo-yoga-book/
    Techradar: Lenovo Yoga Book review. Is this the netbook of the future – the ultra netbook?

Our Verdict
    Lenovo has crafted a brilliant, forward-thinking device that could very well create a subcategory in computing all of its own. But, with low-power components inside holding it back against the tablet competition, it’s tough to outright recommend you buy the first generation.
    For
    • Insanely thin and light
    • Halo Keyboard surprisingly accurate
    • Excellent display
    • Clever Create Pad
    Against
    • Woefully underpowered
    • Dated microUSB port
    Full Review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/lenovo-yoga-book-1327416/review
    DigitalTrends: Lenovo Yoga Book review
    Highs:
    • Compact, sturdy build
    • Innovative form factor transcends the 2-in-1
    • Note-taking is excellent
    • Accurate stylus
    • Close to stock Android install
    Lows
    • Typing without keys feels strange
    • Processor isn't powerful enough for a full laptop
    • We don't know if it will get Android updates
    Score: 7/10, Full Review: http://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/lenovo-yoga-book-review/
    BGR: Review: What it’s like to use the most innovative laptop of 2016
    In the end, I found that I had a much easier time using the Yoga Book than I thought I would. My review unit ran Windows 10 — Lenovo also offers an Android version with the exact same specs — and I used the device to write this very article. Typing on the Yoga Book takes a bit of getting used to, as is the case with Microsoft’s Surface tablets and Touch Cover keyboards. But once I got comfortable with the Halo Keyboard, I found that I typed much more quickly than I do on a typical tablet display.
    I’m no artist, but I also had a great experience using the pen tablet with Lenovo’s stylus. The pen tablet is very sensitive, as you would expect from any device equipped with Wacom tech. I also like taking notes by hand from time to time, so the ability to place a pad on the pen tablet and have it digitize my handwriting was great.
    Of note, switching between the stylus tip and an actual pen cartridge is fast and easy. The cap of the stylus has a built-in removal tool and the stylus takes standard ink cartridges that can be purchased on Amazon or in any office supply store.
    At $499.99 for the Android version and $549.99 for the Windows 10 model, the Yoga Book is priced in line with tablets. It is a tablet, but it’s also so much more. I’m not sure this is or will ever be a mass-market device like Apple’s MacBook Air, but in my eyes it’s just as innovative as the Air, provided the user has a genuine need for a hybrid device with professional-grade pen support.

Full Review: http://bgr.com/2016/10/17/lenovo-yoga-book-review-release-date/
    Techspot: Lenovo Yoga Book Review
    Beautiful and Innovative, But Flawed
    The Lenovo Yoga Book is an innovative, compelling concept product with a great feature set and an attractive price tag. However, while I like what the Yoga Book brings to the table in a first-generation product, it’s worth waiting for a next-generation model that addresses some niggling issues with the hybrid design.

Pros:
    Beautiful, innovative design that evolves tablet-laptop hybrid hardware. Excellent stylus functionality and responsivity. Surprisingly good battery life.​
    Cons:
    Touch keyboard isn’t great. Numerous bugs and software issues. MicroUSB over USB-C is an odd choice. Cherry Trail processor a fair way behind Core M.
    Score: 70/100, Full Review: http://www.techspot.com/review/1257-lenovo-yoga-book/

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    djas, gcoupe, bloodycape and 2 others like this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Does anyone know if it is released in Japan? That "keyboard" ought to make it real easy switching between languages.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

7. kvoram

But the keyboard has a fixed layout, it is permanently imprinted/etched under the surface. So in that regard it is no different than the printing on regular keycaps.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Oh, I thought it changed since it was a second digitizer (with screen function, is what I thought).

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, it's reprehensible that they didn't do multiple keyboard layouts:

- different languages
    - different keyboard layouts (one of these days I'm going to switch to Dvorak)
    - different tasks (I'd give my interest in Hell for a vertical strip of modifier and customizable command keys)

10. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought one to replace my terribly unreliable HP 608, and am very impressed with the Yoga Book. The major downside is not having the Wacom digitizer on the mainscreen, and I agree with the above posts, it would have been better to have an e-ink screen for adjustable, customizable virtual keyboards, reading pdf's, and so on. But for a first generation product, it is stellar. The Yoga hinge and form factor is very useful. The battery life is about 10hours of normal use (where I would get 6hrs on the HP 608 at most, and 4-5hrs on the Surface Pro 3). It is quite responsive and feels really fast compared to the HP 608 despite a similar (same gen) Atom CPU. I actually forget it is an Atom in there. Really ! There is no lag on the touchscreen, and even runs older PC games lke Bioshock or Portal 2 without any trouble (at low res). Sketchup works well. Using the digitizer on a separate panel takes some getting used to, and I do miss writing directly on the screen. The AnyPen tech is crap, but in a pinch, you can underline, highlight, do basic inking on it, so it is better than nothing. Opening the tablet flat out in portrait mode, writing or drawing on the right side and looking at the screen on the left is actually quite useable. I was pleasantly surprised. The matte surface is also very pleasant to write on. The best thing for me though is that, for the first time, I have a small, lightweight, pen-enabled, thin with no flappy keyboard, long battery life PC that is reliable ! No crashes, no digitizer lag (HP 608, here's me looking at you), no sleep problems, no driver issues, no excessive battery drain... Just reliable use as it is meant to be. After my frustrating experiences over the last several years with the HP and the Surface Pros, I am a little shocked to have a reliable computer...

Looking forward to a future generation where I hope they listen to our feedback: same form factor, less screen bezel, proper pen digitizer on the screen, secondary identical size backlit matte e-ink screen with same touch and pen digitizer (or at least AnyPen tech) for adaptable virtual keyboards, more storage space, and if possible, Core-M with Thunderbolt 3.

Edit: I wanted to add that I am a big fan of flat keyboards with no mechanical movement. I was very happy with my Touch Cover on the first Surface and Surface Pro. Here, the keyboard is very nice in my opinion, but the trackpad is not as good as the Surface Pro 3 Type Cover trackpad. Another area for Lenovo to improve on.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016