Lenovo Yoga Book with Wacom digitizer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Pre-order is possible now, on the Lenovo website.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Everyone who pre-orders this travesty gets an internet stink eye from me.

alaskajoel and JoeS like this.
  3. Quistnix

Quistnix Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you get bullied by a yoga book as a child or something?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Did you feel that stink eye I just sent you? It was a real good one.

5. Quistnix

Quistnix Pen Pal - Newbie

It was delicious!

Shogmaster likes this.
  6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm sorry, but they keep flaunting this device like it's amazing for digitizing documents. No, you're digitizing BLANK paper. If I get a paper contract I have to sign, I'm not digitizing it, I'm simply capturing my signature.

If they could've allowed me to put the paper on the keyboard, close the lid, scan it, open it back up, and then sign it with a pen and have that digitized to the truly DIGITIZED document, I'd consider this. I really fail to see the point of this machine.

Shogmaster likes this.
  7. Tor

Tor Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, all the writing on paper its a useless gimmick IMO.
    The thing is a great (light) sketch pad. Hampered by low performance and screen size. Hopefully a big brother will come around. Or Microsoft will offer a similar add-on keyboard for their surface line.

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Windows Central just posted an unboxing and hands on video.

Azzart likes this.
  9. mistake the mizan

mistake the mizan Pen Pal - Newbie

That video had me a bit worried about the keyboard usability, as he was strangely typing with only two fingers on each hand.

Fortunately, my local electronics store had one of these (albeit Windows version only, and no pen on display to try!) out on the floor to play with (and piled up for sale). A bit of a mixed bag, to me:

Amazingly light--lighter than I expected it to feel. Good size of screen and machine in general; screen did feel a tad small for Windows but I probably would prefer this in Android anyway. If you are thinking of getting a tablet anyway, this might be a relatively nice one: the pad works as a nice stand, and it's light enough that you feel to be getting the pad for free without really any additional weight.

The size did make me doubt the utility of the paper function: you can't just lay an ordinary A4 sheet on the machine and just go. The full sized stand-alone Wacom Bamboo Slate feels to be be a better application of this technology.

Keyboard OK to use. I found myself typing fairly accurately from the start, not worried about typing speed. But the haptic feedback was very uncomfortable; I felt like I was being hit with every key. I would need to turn that off in order for the thing to be usable for more than a few minutes. It also felt like you needed a bit of force to type (or maybe I just felt like I was hitting back?). It's not like tapping your fingers lightly on the table pretending a keyboard is there, it was less comfortable than that. I'd call it better than typing on a Surface Pro but I'm not trading in my Yoga 12 keyboard anytime soon.

Didn't jump to a purchase, but I am glad to see this type of experiment happening, and hope there are future iterations of the device.

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, it's interesting to see Lenovo bring back the Transnote idea.

Things which would've made me far more interested in purchasing it:

- EMR on the screen
    - mechanical pencil option for the stylus --- bonus points if the stylus had both a digital and physical eraser
    - keyboard display was e-Ink
    - optional keyboard layouts for the keyboard area --- in particular, a secondary keyboard layout of just modifier keys for use when drawing would be _amazing_

As it is, it might make the cut for devices to replace my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 if/when I need to do so.

kvoram and Marty like this.