Lenovo Yoga Book 2 Pro

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Steve S, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

One of the more informative videos

Takeaways:
    • Main display itself uses Wacom AES technology (4000 levels of pressure sensitivity)
    • Same pen can be used for main display and e-ink display
    • No android version this time
    • Removed ability to draw on paper
    • Screen size bumped up to 10.8in
    • Spec bumps all around
      • Previously atom processor, now will be offered with either m3 and i5
      • Previously emmc, now will be offered with either 128 or 512 ssd
    Feel free to watch the video and add to this list that I might’ve missed

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Very sad that there's no Android version --- what I'd really like to see would be a single unit which could be booted between the twain, and w/ an in-built option to run Android apps in Windows.

Ah well, buying this would at least let me put my Wacom Bamboo Smart Stylus for Select 2-in-1 Devices to use.

3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whaou ! I would have loved if it would be 8", and if the eInk screen could also be used as a secondary screen on windows (even with eInk limitations). Next time perhaps.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, an 8" version would be awfully cool, and a lot easier to justify. Still kicking myself for not buying an 8" Toshiba Encore 2 Write.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but the weight is 1.71 lbs, basically the same as the Surface Pro 4 without keyboard. Not too bad. Obviously much heavier than e-ink only readers, for example the 13.3" Sony DPT-RP1 which weighs 0.77 lbs.

I also see that it has two USB-C ports and a microSD slot, great!

Next up: what's the screen brightness of the LCD?

BTW the official product page is actually up already, see here:
    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/tablet...k-windows-series/Yoga-Book-C930/p/ZZIWZWBYB1J

I suspect they made this picture especially for the artists on this forum :)
    upload_2018-8-31_15-24-55.png

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The major issue I see is that the e-ink half isn't a space where you can write within Windows. You can't have, say, OneNote in an e-ink interface, taking notes. You have to make the notes and then somehow save them as an image and "import" them to the upper half. Is that correct? That seems like an awful shame. Much like some of the new batch of e-ink tablets, it's not the hardware that's the issue but rather the software interface.

Basically, as I see it, the bottom half is an e-ink keyboard and reader that doesn't connect to some basic e-ink services like Amazon. The top half seems nice enough, but not something particularly special. I want the bottom half to be more functional as an input device.

In many ways, the bottom half is almost no different from the Boox tablets, or ReMarkable, or the Sony ones. Pen input seems nice and rapid enough, but it seems like such a labor to transfer and share it with other devices or programs, like OneNote. Perhaps I'm missing something?

7. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like they have actually put some thought into it ;)

Although it’s not as seamless as an extended monitor setup, there seems to be a button on the e-ink display that allows them to transfer the handwritten notes into an image or converted into text into OneNote. Also, in the video I posted he mentions if the original pdf was in color, it will be transferred in color to the main display as well.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

For some of us, the advantage is that the tablet has both a traditional IPS color display but an ereader attached as well. Yes, it is disappointing that you can't run software on the eInk side. Yes, the input is nothing different than you would have with a Boox. The advantage, however, if that you have both in a single device. The question to me is, is it worth the functionality you give up by loosing a traditional keyboard. You could carry a Bluetooth KB but that adds to the bundle and may wipe out the advantage you have with the combination device. In the end, I am thinking that I'll still wait for the Go LTE and probably wait for the right eInk device. My preference would be a penabled 8" tablet.

nnthemperor, JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Worst. Pickup. Line. Ever.

ORTOX, batty, kneehowguys and 13 others like this.
  10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Holy cr*p, that is FUNNY!

JoeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.