Lenovo Yoga A940

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Mar 19, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And that right there is precisely why Wacom should be running scared right now. One example I have.....as I bounce between Coffee houses....there is a girl I would observe from time to time who would plunk down with a Macbook, a 13-inch Cintiq, and have a backup battery pack to power the Cintiq. As of a few months ago....she has replaced the Cintiq with an iPad Pro 12-inch with Pencil....and is either working in Procreate or Astropading to her Macbook to use Photoshop. Its easy to discredit that as a one-off thing.....but given she is like legit the only other person in a 30 -mile radius I have ever observed in the wild using an actual Wacom display product aside from myself, I can't help but find it a bit sad that she has now jumped ship fully. I was just at a local coffee shop today where usually I used to be the only Digital Artist......today I counted as many as 3 Apple Pencils in the coffee house.

Apple is really gaining traction.....and for companies like Microsoft and Lenovo....if they lose the pen war to Apple, they at least have other Product lines they can rely on. We already know the Surface Pen gets used by on a small percentage of Surface owenrs....but Wacom doesn't have that same luxury. And Wacom may be a small company, but they were still able to pull the Strings to have their Ink Pen promoted to holy heck at every best buy across the nation. They need to take more ambitious strides to keep themselves in the competition.

Azzart likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I suspect they may have a deal with Wacom where they don't encroach on Cintiq sales by making iPad Pro attach directly to Macs natively, and Wacom keeps feeding OSX proper drivers. lolz

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

...and even that's going to disappear once full-blown iOS Photoshop gets released. :D

Honestly, the ergonomic ease of carrying IPPs and the tablet friendliness of iOS art apps are a Tyson left hook-right uppercut that's going to KO the entire mobile PC creative industry, if MS/Wacom doesn't do something soon.

The whole tablet PC space is in such a mess comparatively: Windows "tablet mode" UX is a joke; AES pen tech is still jitter-prone (with inconsistent response times); x86 creative app suites are resource hogs and generally poorly suited for tablet use; while professional creative apps on UWP just don't even exist.

How the $%^ did we get here?! :p

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    batty likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hordes of creatives telling users that nothing but Wacom is any good, that you can't create art on anything other than Wacom etc etc etc.
    You'll still read that on many videos on Youtube where some kid comes along and says exactly that.

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'm beyond all this: I already moved to use Clip Studio with the iPad Pro only. No more computer for me.

My client sent me vector layouts in eps? No problem, I opened them in Affinity Designer and resaved in .psd.

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I am so happy for all my artist friends here (of whom I am so respectful/jealous!) that the iPP/Pencil has come about to give you the exact tools (given obvious migration/creation of best art apps to IOS) you need! I mean, seriously, who ever thought a laptop computer - in any form or mutation - was the ideal tool for artists, otherwise coming from pads, canvasses, pencils, brushes, etc? My hope for you is that either a third party market develops to get you better drawing tools than the ONE that Apple thinks will be perfect for every owner of an iPad! I imagine they have the tech wrapped up in patents and, as much as their OS, would never license it to third parties when they can make so much more money selling 100% of the pens for their devices at, oh, I would guess 70% margins.

Still and all, I am so grateful for the unlikely bond that brought an egghead analyst/writer like myself with you wonderful creative folk, simply because we both were attached to tablet PCs - for dramatically different reasons - back in the day when the best of the worst met both our needs. As for me, I still need a great keyboard attached to a great screen that I can pull off the keyboard base and use as a tablet and write on. Don't think an iPad will ever fit that bill and don't see them going the write direction with Macs to address the MS-addicted "knowledge workers" like myself. Thus I will be stuck with slower, inelegant devices running un-slick Office apps because, well, when they passed out artistic talent, I thought they said "autistic tendencies" and I said "oh, I already have more of that than I wish for! :oops:

But we'll always have TPCR to keep us bonded!

doobiedoobiedum and dellaster like this.
  7. Shogmaster

Enjoy your young man's eyes while you can. Later you'll be looking for the biggest surface you can look at and draw on like me.

8. Azzart

You might find it exaggerated but when I was about to buy the latest iPad Pro I found the keyboard cover to be so good I wished to have a reason to justify buying that too. :rolleyes:

lovelaptops likes this.
  9. Azzart

My sight has been already ruined: years of staying in front of poor quality, blurry displays made my ability to see in the distance pretty poor. Which means I already need glasses to drive.
    Thank God I can see perfectly well things at arms reach. :D

10. Shogmaster

I use to think pretty that, but then my old ass eyes taught me there are more levels down the eyesight hell...