Lenovo Yoga A940

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Lenovo will never get Wacom's permission to build a 27" AES based pen display that would take potential sales away from Cintiqs (or if they do, Wacom would never provide the Feel Wintab driver for it making it pretty much useless as a Surface Studio as a pen device....).

As long as Lenovo keeps things in consumer product space, they get Wacom driver support. Otherwise Wacom will start protecting their professional high margin products.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe of the Wacom of 5 years ago, but I feel Wacom has lost some of their more militant edge. The A940 is really no more a threat to the Cintiq line then either the Zbookx2 or Dell Canvas, and neither were really intended for the Consumer Product space. Even the A940....despite gracing the Best Buy show room floor, I feel is more targeted towards the professional market then consumer one.

Even if the component sales are considered completely separate from their own Hardware, it still adds to Wacoms bottom line and with both the Apple Pencil and Surface Pen/Mpp stealing more and more of the marketshare, Wacom is probably (or should be) more interested in just staying relevant in any way they can. They know the second Apple brings the Pencil officially to MacOS, its pretty much game over for them. Even as is, with the newer USB-C iPad Pros, and software like Astropad, Duet Display......and even Android equivalents now being available, that has to be eating into their graphics tablet/cintiq marketshare. It will get to the point where if they remain so pig headed about what they will or won't allow in the component market, they'll find the market has jumped ship from them.

Azzart and Marty like this.
  3. Shogmaster

A small company like Wacom is desperate for sustained revenues. If they gamble on letting component buyers make competing products, they certainly won't risk their core market, which is the working professionals who are easier to bilk than consumers and tend to be more loyal. Something like the Dell Canvas was a calculated risk: They made it with their consumer parts (UD EMR panels from parts business instead of DTH EMR panels from their professional line), and they knew how much they revenues were gonna get from Dell, and that Dell would advertise the Wacom tech in the Canvas.

If they make such gamble you propose as a company, they will have to go all in. Sacrifice the professional market for the sake of large uptake from the consumer market. Except they don't sell directly to consumer market much atm. They rely mostly on OEM partners who use their parts.

If someone infused a lot of money into Wacom and decided to take on the consumer market for possible huge increase in revenues (as Apple did in the 2000's when they turned their backs on graphics professionals and went HAM on iPods and iPhones), they will have to make their own consumer devices, and spend tons on marketing. Wacom is too small for that today.

Their current set up of selling directly to the professionals in niche market plus selling parts to the ODMs for the consumer market is already stretching them to the limit.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder if "that moment" could be when or if Apple drop Intel and use their own CPU and modify OSX in whatever way necessary to make the most of the speed of the Apple CPU.

Someone in Apple must be thinking about it but just hasn't been able to convince the accountants yet because the thing against it is that most Apple creative professionals would just buy the one Mac (the biggest pencil based iMac possible) and not buy iPads or other secondary devices.
    Why would you?

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A pencil compatible MacBook or iMac would only likely lose sales from those who bought the 12 inch iPad Pro simply because that was the biggest option Apple was offering. But given how much I can only imagine a touch/pencil iMac would be up costing....a Pencil compatible iPad or iPad Pro would be more of a drop in a bucket. And for a few of the Mac only creative professionals I know, they have a MacBook or iMac rigged to a Cintiq.....with an iPad to offer a portable option should travel be required....or to meet up with a client...and with the pencil, suitable for making on the fly edits if required....simply put...the iPad is perfect to bring your work to showcase to a client. A pencil compatible iMac would if anything just cut Wacom from the equation before the iPad.

6. Shogmaster

Listen you eager beavers... I'm still waiting for Apple to allow that new USB-C connection to connect iPad Pros into Macs as Cintiqs first. Let's not go crazy until we see that low hanging fruit happening first...

7. doobiedoobiedum

Hadn't thought about the portable showcase product option but looking at the accuracy and tilt capability of a Pencil vs a Wacom tool... that's not something many creatives would miss.

It's a Mac - I think you're one of those who'd cut their hand off before buying anything Mac/iPad?

8. Shogmaster

Not for me brah. It's for all my Mac using idiot friends. They don't wanna buy a Cintiq and already have iPad Pros.

9. doobiedoobiedum

Hahaha! I was right. The day you buy a Mac or iPad Pro is the day hell freezes over.

10. Shogmaster

I call them idiots cuz they are poor and Apple keeps screwing them over (e.g. MBP KB) but they keep buying them.