Lenovo Yoga A940

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh wow....yeah....definitely EMR.....however this pen also is also the first EMR pen to carry over features from AES/MPP.....it looks like it has a clickable button on top......EMR pens have either had flat ends or erasers....all actual back end buttons were almost always in the realm of AES/MPP

And this is also the first EMR pen that magnetically connects to a screen. However I would still hold a bit of doubt if the mass production models of this do have that feature, Only because of the example set by Samsung with the Galaxy Book 2.....where they had clear photos of the pen magnetically being attached, but then didn’t end up having that feature when it was released.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

But the real question.....will Best Buy actually stock these in stores for us to play with?

Searched local store availability, two stores (20 miles or so away) have this in stock....with May 4th being the proper roll out date for every other stores. This doesn’t guarantee they will have them on demo on the sales floor,,,,but it would be really nice if they did.

Shogmaster likes this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

That's crazy! A decent PC, 4K screen and Cintiq in one package under $2500 is absurdly good. I definitely don't need a stationary PC, but its so tempting as a "family" PC or something.

Shogmaster likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't you need to be saving for a certain other tablet... :rolleyes::p

7. darkmagistric

Much like the Surface Studio....I kind of wish this could get released just as a stand-alone pen/touch monitor. I’m sure for many of us, doing just that would make it an instant purchase. Especially if they could release it as a monitor for around $1000-$1300.....Given Wacoms Cintiq 16 to Cintiq Pro 16/24 prices......$1000-ish for a 28-inch pen/touch monitor wouldn't be that bad.

I still can’t help but hold a bit of skepticism over how would the pen will actually perform, I mean.....it’s AES.....the largest AES device kind of ever.....but AES is just for the most part Wacoms equivalent to Ntrig/MPP....which would make the pens performance in part reliant on how dense the Pro-cap digitizer grid is......which is quite costly at 20+ inch screen size range. In case of the $3000 priced Surface Studio 2.....to release that just as a Monitor would most likely still be in the $2000-ish range, because of how high quality the screen is.

So for this product to start at $2300.....I would worry they might have cut some corners.....like having a dense enough digitizer grid.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Lawrence Mann couldn't really tell the difference between A940's AES 2,0 pen and his Dell Canvas. And that guy knows how to draw well.

But then again, diagonal jitter problem from less dense grid affects newbies more than pros so...

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Forgot this wasn't EMR...:(
    I'm not a big fan of AES personally, regardless of grid density, but the price sure is beating the pants off the expected amount needed to grab the Acer Concept D.

10. darkmagistric

So the A940 has hit Best Buy. (One of my local Best Buys had it anyway) Interesting device....size wise its kind of perfect....even though I typically prefer 3:4 or 2:3.....the 16:10(?) ratio works quite well. And from a physical usage sense, the USB dials are kind of really cool to use.

That being said there were more then a few things I kind of didn't like.

1. My Best Buy had no Pen on display for it....either it got stolen already or they didn't put it out. And even though the Wacom Bamboo Ink pens are almost everywhere at Best Buy....the table the A940 was on.....was all ...all-in-one desktops.....so there was no Bamboo ink within reach. And every other Bamboo ink is alarm/tethered to their tables. I asked the staff if they could find the pen that was supposed to come with it, or find me an ink pen to use (even lied and said I would very likely buy the device if I could test the pen).....but sadly the staff could not obtain one for me to use. More of an issue against Best Buy I guess, but since the Pen is probably the most significant reason to buy this over other Non Pen/but Touch only Desktops....its kind of really unfortunate they couldn't provide one.

2. Maybe its due to the being so used to more recent devices with....thinner glass displays....but I was kind of surprised how thick the glass was in the A940. Like its full on Cintiq 21ux level of thickness and its definitely noticeable. Didn't have a pen to test it on, but with using just my fingers, I could definitely see the gap between the screen and the glass. I would assume that for the Pen...this could in fact mean Parllax could indeed be an issue. If you come from an older 21ux and are still used to dealing with thicker glass its fine, but compared to the Surface Studio its a bit off-putting. The screen quality itself....although sufficient, didn't really wow me as the Surface Studios screen does.

3. Another grip....when you decline the A940's screen down into Studio Mode....it doesn't really decline down nearly as much as you would think. Like it doesn't even go as low as the Surface Studio's, and that itself didn't decline as low as my 21ux Cintiq did. Bottom line if like drawing on flat surface or an extreme low angle.....the A940 might not be for you.

4. The really cool side dials.....as much as I liked physically using them....the Application that controls them leaves alot to be desired. You can only choose from preset options....like there isn't a way to program it by default to do whatever you want.....unlike Express Keys or even the Surface Dial......but for specific applications you might be able to specifically set them for certain functions...but it would appear you need to have the Application itself open to do so....so you can't program it for Photoshop without running photoshop. Which for a locked down Best Buy computer makes it almost irrelevant. But even then....the programs it works for are rather limited. Photoshop CS5 and up, Illustrator CS6 and up, Sketchbook Pro 2018, etc.....and Premier, Lightroom and Office 2019........but so far no support for Clip Studio Paint, or Corel Painter, or Artrage.....so if you're like me and would like to use the dial with Clip Studio.....that is currently a no go.

But overall it was a nice all in one studio-ish desktop. Despite my grips with it....should they release it as a monitor only, I could definitely consider it a possible purchase...of course pending on how I like the Pen performance of course. Hopefully Best Buy will get a pen for it one day.