Lenovo Yoga A940

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Mar 19, 2019.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting concept - I watch a lot of Lawrence Mann's videos (his delivery needs work though) and this looked really interesting.
    Wacom AES 2.0 pen with tilt / 4K screen and up to 32 GB RAM with a Radeon graphic card. Lenovo have to be applauded for this but what got me most was that dial.

Pen Test starts 5.40 seconds

Lawrence's first impression at CES below

Only 3 of these tablets in the UK at present - I hope they do well, it's time there were more options available and I would certainly stop waiting for the phantom Apple iMac 27 inch with pencil support to ever show up.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

If this was EMR, I would have pounced on it a year ago when I was looking at building a small but powerful desktop. Still, I agree it's pretty brilliant. Is Wacom AES 2.0 better enough than Surface N-trig to consider a better drawing device than the Surface Studio?

EDIT** that GPU is pretty underwhelming... also what kind of CPU does it have specifically? EDIT again** I7-8700, which is fantastic. so really only held back by the lackluster GPU

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  3. doobiedoobiedum

In the video he opens the components case up - possibly the GPU is not soldered on? As for the question about EMR / vs AES 2.0 I think many different artists will respond differently to the two technologies and use what thy can work with - this includes those who will just buy a desktop and attach a graphic monitor of their choice.

4. stoneseeker

Oh I wasnt asking about EMR, IMO (and most professional artists opinion) EMR is superior to any active pen system like N-Trig and AES by a long shot, my thought out loud was wondering if the AES2.0 in the A940 would put it above it's obvious competitor the Surface Studio which is running N-Trig. The price point on this beast is certainly better!

If we are to compare this to a cintiq though at least with price, is if you were to consider a 24" cintiq paired with a desktop it would be loads more cash to drop up front. The issue of course is this machine won't hold its value over time like a cintiq can. I would LOVE to see an option (maybe it has this and I am unaware) for the A940to be used as an external monitor when the components are old and the system irrelevant. It would feel terrible to retire such a gorgeous screen just because the PC it's attached to became obsolete.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

Really good points. That screen is to die for - if I were in a studio popping money down on a Surface Studio I would probably ask to spend it on this instead.

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At least Lenovo was generous enough to give it a Thunderbolt USB-C port....so at least an eGPU would be an option.....unlike the Surface Studio 2.....

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. stoneseeker

That's pretty cool... I could see just plugging in a boxed 2080 for when you wanna game.

Absolutely! I would love to try one of these in person, but I can't imagine the windows stores will be displaying floor models for it.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Since it's been confirmed by Lawrence Mann that it uses AES 2.0 digitizer, I would definitely buy this thing for myself if I was in the market. I certainly would buy this over Surface Studio 2: Way better CPU, way easier to upgrade, and IMO a noticeably better digitizer/pen/software support (Wacom WinTAB still makes a hell of a difference in app pen performance).

Would I notice the pen difference between 22HD I've been using at work? Yes. But the difference would not bother me at all. EMR vs AeS 2.0 to me is close enough and they have both have their strengths. EMR does some things better, AES 2.0 does other things better.

As soon as I find out how much the config I want costs, I might have to make a decision since I haven't had a decent workstation at home for a while, current best machine I have is mere 15W 8th gen i7 with MX130 2GB mated to a 21UX.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Curious to get your opinion guys. So to me the screen is actually...not that good?

During the closeup (@5:38 mark of the first vid) you can see a considerable airgap between the pen tip and crosshair on the A940:

[​IMG]

Now compare this to a fully laminated display like on the Dell Canvas 27 (@16:26 of his review):

[​IMG]

The camera angle is less flattering for the Canvas 27, yet the display gap still looks significantly smaller.

To me this would be an instant deal-breaker for new ~$2k drawing display purchase. Do you find you guys are less sensitive to this gap in your own work?

(Have I been too spoiled by newer bonded displays? :p)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I never actually used any laminated screen Cintiqs yet so it won't be worse than what I've been using thus far on big pen displays lol.