Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I recall using some piece of software which allowed me to control how fast the clock was running on my CPU. -It might have been Speedfan, but I can't remember.

I don't know if that's as good at power saving as a chip dedicated to low power, but it seemed like a pretty neat-o trick.

I had mine set to speed up depending on the demand rather than run at full clock all the time. There was a cute little animated graphic which sat in the corner and spiked when I was pushing lots of number crunch.

Come to think of it...

I might do well to look that up again.

2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Note to self: if I ever get over my "yuck, 16:9," then the 720-15IKB is the model I want, since that's the one with the replaceable RAM. Also dGPU.

I really wish this came with the super-capacitor silo pen. And had a Caps Lock indicator light, but that's apparently gone the way of the dodo.

alaskajoel and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

16:9 at nearly sixteen inches is actually fairly okay. It's still a dumb format for laptops, almost useless for portrait mode work, but there was enough physical space at 15.6" up/down to make me not crazy. (I never used my 4:3 screens in portrait mode either, so...)

Selofain likes this.
  4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

That's good to hear. I suppose if the Galaxy Book pans out, I could get my portrait needs (writing notes/reading) that way and leave drawing to landscape mode on a larger screen.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You will probably be able to use a program like Throttestop to undervolt the CPU.

6. thundercracker

thundercracker Pen Pal - Newbie

Sold out. Wonder how soon before they get the other configs/colors in.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

That was fast. That's either an indication of a healthy market, or a very small production run.

The Yoga design is turning into a defacto standard, with even the Porsche Design emulating it. -It works, is quick and doesn't get in your way. And it seems pretty obvious in retrospect, but I remember at the time thinking, "Whaaaaat?".

Question: Is the "Lift & Lock" feature still an important selling point to people? Does this new Lenovo use it?

8. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Lift&Lock is a great feature, but its only on ThinkPads, so not on this one.

The new X1 Yoga has a Wave keyboard, which replaces Lift&Lock. So apparently, Lenovo considers this very important if they develop a refined design.

9. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

ThinkPad's are awesome.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait, I can finally stop switching between an XPS 15 & Yoga 460?!

Quad i7 + Wacom + dGPU....

For many years I have been searching for this...my quest is coming to an end...
    [​IMG]

dellaster likes this.