Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

1. thundercracker

thundercracker Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the heads up. Too bad it's just the grey one, so far.

Does anyone worry about that glassy reflective screen?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Price is lower than I expected! Waiting for the reviews!

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What's the story on quad cores and battery life? Eventually they'll have a Thinkpad version of this with a trackpoint, which is what I'll want. But I really don't need quad cores at all. I need a bright and big screen, pen, and trackpoint. But I would hate to give up battery life for a feature I don't need.

ibmthink likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Battery life will suffer with a QuadCore. This is an interesting option for an engineering student. And, yea, Thinkpad please.

ibmthink likes this.
  5. Steve B

I wish, when they made these sorts of designs, that they would offer more configurations in re: to things like processors. They do it for storage and ram. Just because I want a 15" Thinkpad with a pen, doesn't mean I want a quad core. Way beyond my needs on that one

6. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Technically not a Thinkpad though, right? Closer to the Ideapad line?

7. Steve B

I think our point is not that we want this exact device, but that people might like a 15" like this, but that was a Thinkpad with pen input and a trackpoint.

The other idea is somehow that a person only wants a bigger laptop if it's super powered. I would like a bigger screen, but only need 2 cores. I would much much rather have longer battery life

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Can never make everyone happy. The funny thing is, there are many people who would like a non-Convertible 15,6" ThinkPad with Quad-Core CPU as well, but all 15,6" ThinkPads except the P50 (which is a workstation and fairly thick/heavy) feature dual-core CPUs.

I think this machine is meant to counter the XPS 15 somewhat, because Lenovo lacked an equivalent to that machine before.

9. thundercracker

thundercracker Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah for 3d work in particular, sculpting etc. I love the idea of having a powerful cpu/gpu with a wacom pen.

Though I still wonder how it will compare to the XPS with the 2gb less vram, or whether that's an issue.

10. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Was asking out of curiosity (or laziness), wasn't sure which line the 720 was tied to. Thinkpad quality control has declined some, but still feel the line is superior to any Ideapad in quality and reliability. Would be more excited about a quad-core Thinkpad with the same specs (15", Quad-core Kaby Lake, 4k, discrete graphics, digitizer, Thunderbolt).

Well said. Been eyeing a recent deal on the XPS 15 @ibmthink referenced, but lamenting the lack of digitizer/convertibility. The 720 caught my eye, but I need the HQ processor. The search continues...