Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

What about slow lines jitter - is it better than stock Lenovo, or the same? I frankly can't draw a straight line slowly even on EMR (or with pen) - only if I draw it fast or use Lazy Nezumi I get it straight - but still would like to know... Anyone?

2. Illustrator76

Illustrator76 I Draw Pictures

I'd like to know what owners of this machine think of it compared to a Dell Precision M3800 or the newer Precision lines? I have had an M3800 for a few years, and I have had nothing but issues with it. Multiple trackpad replacements, fan replacements (making weird noise), and screen replacements (due to this weird white mark that only shows up on white backgrounds). I am not at all rough on my machine, and cosmetically it looks perfect, but yet I have still had multiple issues.

I am now looking at alternatives solutions and this computer caught my eye. Seems like the biggest difference is that the Precision lines have Quadro cards (better for applications) while this one has a GeForce card (better for games). I do lots of Graphic Design, UI Design, photo editing, drawing, and light video editing (occasionally). Would this PC be able to stand up to the task of what I need it to do?

I'd be looking to get the 4K screen, and I would also like to know how the sRGB and AdobeRGB compare to the Precision lines? I have done Google searches but still can't find a definitive answer on the 4K screen version of this machine.

Any help provided would be great!

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

From looking at the internals, I can say this:
    • The cooling system on the Precision is better (shorter pipes means more efficient heat removal)
    • The Precision fans themselves look dinky and prone to failure like ultrabook fans
    • It's nice that the Precision has more ports
    • Everything else seems to be equally serviceable (except the Yoga's onboard RAM)
    • The Yoga's speakers look beefier

The Yoga has its share of QC issues, but seems all of them are apparent right out of the gate: black line at the top of the display (from poorly assembled LCD?), uneven hinges (from poor assembly?), misaligned keyboard (...poor assembly, again?). But if you get a "good one", it seems like everything should be sturdy enough to last for years.

Those tasks, and video editing in particular, are CPU-accelerated so you'll have no trouble there even with the non-GPU models. Usually only 3D is handled by the GPU. I do a little video encoding on this machine and it's completely replaced my desktop in that regard.

I haven't measured the display's color gamut and accuracy but I compared it against a calibrated display and it's pretty close to full sRGB coverage, going by eye. Other members of this forum reported 90%-95% sRGB coverage, so that's about the same as the Precision.

Time will tell if the machine is as sturdy as it looks.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I sound like a broken record, but I love my Yoga 720 15. I don't have any of the build issues cited above. For the price, it's an unparalleled powerhouse.

Illustrator76, NVKnivek and ATIVQ like this.
  5. Illustrator76

WOW! Thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds like this machine is right up my alley for what I want. Everything about it seems to be extremely solid, especially for the price. Having an integrated Wacom digitizer is also incredible so that when I draw I don't have to worry about moving files back and forth between my tablet and laptop. I'll have everything all rolled into one machine with good specs to boot.

Thanks for your detailed reply!

6. Illustrator76

Are you using this every day for painting, drawing, design, video editing, etc...? You aren't having any issues or feeling any bottlenecks at all? I was considering this Yoga 720 15 and the HP Spectre x360 15, but I hate the Spectre x360 15's awkward keyboard layout, elongated trackpad, and I'm not a huge fan of the gold color accents either. The look of the Lenovo Yoga 720 is right up my alley.

7. surfaceproartist

I have been using the Yoga in a variety of applications, but I can't say I've challenged it yet. It significantly outperforms all but my desktops in benchmark tests.

8. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I am. The only thing that bugs me is the relatively slow canvas redraw rate in Clip Studio Paint when I have a large canvas and turn layers on or off. However, that happens at the same rate no matter how many layers I have which makes me think it's a program limitation and not a hardware one caused by the 720 15".

My fans do rev up when I do airbrushing in CSP or do sculpting in Blender. It's not annoying, but it is noticeable if not wearing headphones or earbuds. I tend to have the system in stand/tablet mode, fans pointing at me, and the screen at a 45 degree angle or so. If I rotated it around to point the fans away from me it would be less of an issue, but I'd also lose the screen tilt (it would have to be flat).

I have a Yoga 720 15" 80X7003VUS (UHD, 1TB SSD, 16GB onboard; Lenovo Active Pen 1 bought separately; Bamboo Ink bought separately) ordered back in May. It shipped fast out of North Carolina. No defects. I have calibrated my screen and recall the stock settings were close, but Spyder 5 Pro changed the color temperature and gamma. I'm very happy with my Yoga. I still check up on these threads from time to time. Research is over though -- this machine is awesome and I'll have it for the next 4 years. Sold my Fujitsu T902 late June.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Illustrator76 and ATIVQ like this.
  9. surfaceproartist

@BigDragon do you mean Bamboo Ink? It's leaps and bounds better than either the Smart or the Active Pen 1.

10. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes! The new one -- just got it 3 weeks ago. Edited my post. Wacom should use shorter names for their products.

surfaceproartist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.