Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

1. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Is Lenovo just making up numbers or something? On webpage, it says 9 hours for FHD but on that screenshot it says 10 hours.

I'm so getting this, one without dGPU for extra battery life and eGPU for occasional gaming.

2. CIUVAK

CIUVAK Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes I see two numbers for FHD screen: either 9 or 10.
    At least for UHD display is 8 hours in both.
    There are so many variables that can determine these numbers. First of all what activity is done: video streaming (obviously what quality, what type of codec used); browsing, etc...
    My guess is if you are after the best battery life, pick an i5 with FHD screen and no dGPU. This version will probably cost the least, too. Only issue it will probably come with an HDD, so replace that with an SSD and you'll get the longest battery, probably 10 hours or more.

3. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guy please share more info for Lenovo Active Pen? Does it work the same as Jot Dash II? How about stop-gap, curve, and straight line? I have Yoga 500 15-IBD GT940M work great with Jot Dash II and Jot Pro 2015 with 80% accuracy, few stop-gap and curve-gap, although o palm rejection, hover and pressure sensitive, of course. I even put macOs Sierra on it, let see, where can I get a Active Pen 2?

4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

God no, the performance is superior on all counts. When I pick up a physical pen, I expect to be able to legibly write on 5mm by 5mm grid paper, and rest my palm on the paper. When I pick up a digital pen, I expect the same. Wacom AES and N-trig are almost on-par with a physical pen in that regard. The video you posted clearly shows the person not resting their palm on the display, barely able to draw strokes that don't take up a giant portion of the display, and lag like there's no tomorrow.

I can't believe you'd describe this sort of pen performance as "great".

okieiam and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, it's neat to see a Jot in action, but...

Maybe the stylus response would have been better if the computer in the video wasn't busy blowing processor cycles generating eye candy star burst effects all over the place. Can you imagine trying to gauge Photoshop brush efficiency like that? Sheesh.

okieiam likes this.
  6. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Lenovo active pen uses Wacom AES tech. Wacom is the industry standard for styluses. Also, the tech used in this pen is not the best they can offer.
    You can't use active pen on your yoga 500. It needs to be stated in specification that it supports the active pen. It's the same as Samsung S-pen (wacom as well), you can't use it on just any phone, you need the phone that supports it.

Some people just have different standard or probably doesn't even know the real industry standard.

Nah, they're just being dumb. Just stick with one number and reasons with all that stuffs. When they put 2 numbers, it means they're not organized very well.

Without dGPU config, i7 is the best to go. I also use my laptop for more than 4-5 years and i5 doesn't age well for that kind of time. I'll get UHD but I'll change it to FHD it if the color space is worse than FHD version.

okieiam likes this.
  7. okieiam

Ok I have hand on experience with Wacom Pen on Thankpad P460, Thinkpad Yoga X1 and N-Trig on Surface Book They are superior in palm rejection and follow through but can not compare to a physical pen, even stop gap too, sometimes ..... And the price, you see, sky high,. There is a thread about MobileStudio Pro but I guess real artist prefer physical pen....I don't see many painters using digital pen in my city..... But it good for entertainment and hobby I think...And the 720 spec sounds the most powerful and fully equipped at this time around...
    There is surely i7-U no 4 cores however
    I case I get used with digital drawing I will consider a external drawing pad like this one http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ht-help-me-help-you.71106/page-11#post-490123

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Damn! I'm really looking forward to seeing the 15.6" model get into the hands of some artists!

I want to see line tests! What if... what if the AES on this thing is by some engineering surprise twist extra smooth with no lumps? Ooooh.

Though, that bezel looks awfully thin...

I find I enjoy about an inch of neutral space between the live screen edge and nothingness, where I can support a knuckle while pulling scroll bars and such. Less than that, and it might be a permanently uncomfortable/awkward bit of ergonomics which would drive you to quietly hate your machine over time...

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. okieiam

An exact pen for both artists and engineers alike, I think MobileStudio Pro 16 is the champion, set a side 2-in-1 feature.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. thundercracker

thundercracker Pen Pal - Newbie

I almost bought a dell xps 15 but then I saw this. Does anyone know what the screen quality is likely to be like on the 1080p model? I think in the past the color range of Lenovo's displays have been quite poor haven't they? I'm sure the 4k will be decent but for a hefty premium.