Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I read your review but I didn't get that impression. You wrote perform the same regarding slow wobble, light pressure, and nib texture, and the main differences are the ergonomics, the Bluetooth button, and the nib that allows for a shallower pen angle. So what's the huge step up?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think Rick likes the frictiony nib options on the BIS.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don’t remember comparing the Ink to the Smart in my review. Who can keep track? ;-)

But seriously I much prefer the ergonomics of the new pen and (whether Shog thinks it’s my imagination or not) the lower IAF vs. the Smart.

And fortunately AES tips are interchangeable so you can go choose three levels of hardness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Xonner

Xonner Pen Pal - Newbie

Are there any dockstations that can charge this laptop through thunderbolt?

5. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I had been using the Lenovo Active Pen (LAP) with my Yoga 720. At first I didn't care much for it, but after removing the nib and reinserting it I noticed it stuck out farther and became a little more sensitive. It worked well for a couple months.

Earlier this week I decided to buy a Bamboo Ink Smart (BIS). I definitely noticed the rubberized tip and the lower initial activation force. It feels a bit more responsive than the LAP, and I like the BIS triangular shape better than the cylinder barrel of the LAP. The BIS just feels better to hold and use. The buttons are far easier to find too. The only thing I didn't like was the $70 price tag. Before I bought it I had tested it out at on some Yoga 720s at Best Buy. There were a ton of BIS pens sitting around.

I don't use the Bluetooth feature. I primarily use Clip Studio Paint. Haven't tried changing nibs on the BIS yet. I'm rather disappointed it only came with 3 replacements -- each one different. For $70 I expected more nibs.

6. Shogmaster

I know why you feel lower IAF on the Ink vs Smart. Your Bamboo Smart already has load sensor wear. I'm saying this bc my Thinkpad Pen Pro feels way less sensitive than it use to and compared to my other AES pens since I use that all the time and kinda abused it. I can definitely feel the difference between it and Smart even though they felt about the same when I initially got the Smart.

These load sensors wear out and lose sensitivity, especially the IAF over time. DO NOT ever drop your pens head first lol.

7. Shogmaster

Switch to the hard plastic nib for far lower IAF on your BIS.

BigDragon likes this.
  8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sound advice!

@BigDragon you can buy five replacement tips of the same hardness direct from Wacom for $10.

9. thundercracker

thundercracker Pen Pal - Newbie

My display dims in and out while on battery, even though I have 'adaptive brightness' turned off. Is this Lenovo's software or something?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Try disabling all the power saving features in Control Panel > Intel Graphics Settings > Power. Particularly, "Display Power Saving Technology" monkeys around with the brightness.

thundercracker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.