Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Why wouldn't it have the free slot? They wouldn't change the device's design just for one model.

Shogmaster and DreadfulDrummer like this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Look, ALL 720 15 has onboard memory AND a SoDIMM slot. And obviously Lenovo decided to sell some models with 16GB onboard only. Initially, IIRC, their 16GB models came with 8GB onboard and 8GB SoDIMM.

Look at their product page now. They are now specifying which models have how much onboard memory. This is new! They didn't do that initially when 720 15 launched. Now you have a choice of 16GB configs with 8+8 OR 16+0.

3. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

That's what I thought, but I remember looking at the service manuals or something and being confused because only one model came with a free slot. All other RAM was soldered.

I think that was when this was first announced, so maybe it's out of date now or just plain wrong, but I do remember specifically commenting on it. But heck, if that's changed, great! If only the rest of the machine wasn't such a disappointment to me.

4. Shogmaster

I assume that the Best Buy 720 with 1050M, 4K and 16GB RAM is 8+8 config? Anyone with one cracked theirs open already and know for sure? It's on sale again starting tomorrow and if it's 16+0, I'm grabbing one.

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Thankfully you don't have to crack open the device, you can trust Windows Task Manager to report the number of slots in use (but not the number of slots available). If it's 2, it has no slots available.

My (non-Best-Buy) 16GB model came with 1x8GB onboard and 1x8GB SODIMM.

Shogmaster likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

Nice! I had no idea Win10 told me that. Now to see if they have the 4K 1050M version on display...

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks. Turns out the batteries were in the packaging after all. The shipper got overly aggressive with the bubble wrap and I almost accidentally tossed the tiny things away with the packaging. The Active Pen 2 works well and is definitely better than the first gen Active Pen, but I think I'd recommend the Bamboo Ink over it.

DreadfulDrummer likes this.
  8. surfaceproartist

Where do you find this information? Is it under the performance tab? I see one socket listed there on my 16GB Best Buy model. Is that the same as slot?

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Task Manager, performance tab, memory side-tab. You can see it erroneously reports 4 slots because the chipset supports 4, even though the motherboard itself only has one soldered and one slot.

[​IMG]

My RAM is performing at dual-channel speeds so that's great. I probably would have gotten the 16GB soldered model if it were available at the time. Still waiting for a 4K model without a GPU for that thermal goodness.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  10. surfaceproartist

My 16GB reads the same, so what is it telling me? Do I have a free slot or not? :confused:

I read your note above, but still unclear why it reads 2 of 4 instead of 2 of 2 if it's actually filled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.