Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

@stoneseeker, it's a good thing Fujitsu made our Lifebooks so sturdy, isn't it? I don't think we'll ever see its like again.

2. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

Another Fujitsu fan....well not the fan, that can get loud. But yeah, I'm torn too. The newer Fujitsus don't have emr, so I was looking at this Lenovo. I also was bummed about the lack of ports, but it sounds like it has some trade offs. I'm still waiting to try the Wacom pen on this sucker... I went to Best Buy and the guy there had no clue about the pen even though they had a few displays with it out there.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Unfortunately, a strip of my screen has become unresponsive to pen, rendering the drawing area smaller.
    Otherwise it still performs like a champ though. Being that I don't work on the go as much as I used to, I'm not desperate to find a replacement, but I am hoping for some viable replacements in the next year or so.

4. thundercracker

thundercracker Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my replacement for that lightbleed issue. First impression is it isn't all that dissimilar, still blown out in the corners, but less blotchy/noticeable-- it is within the realms of what I deem acceptable. The panel overall makes slightly less of an impression than the last, feels like I notice motionblur more, but maybe just psychological. I ran Displaycal this morning in "laptop mode" with my colormunki display and didn't like the results, trying it again now.

Edit: the results from displaycal are definitely not encouraging, let's hope this is user error. I basically used default settings, laptop mode, auto. I've used displaycal a few times on my desktop monitor so I'm not totally in the dark, but this seems way off. 82% sRGB?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I used DisplayCAL with a Spyder colorimeter on a Cintiq Companion and two external monitors and the results where always awful. I ended up keeping the Cintiq Companion raw and manually set the other two to look as similar as possible to the Companion.
    With DisplayCAL is just too difficult to get a decent result for my taste. :confused:

6. yuriylsh

yuriylsh Pen Pal - Newbie

I've ordered my Y720 from Lenovo's website 5 days ago, and it's still hasn't been shipped. Is it common for Lenovo to take so long to send the order on its way? 720_order_shipping.PNG

7. thundercracker

thundercracker Pen Pal - Newbie

yuriylsh: Yes, it takes that long. About 2 weeks in my experience.

I'll have to try X-rite's own software and see how different they are. There's a thorough review on youtube where a guy measures 96% so I'm hoping the problem is on my end and not some deviation in the panels.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME YOU CAN GO AS HIGH AS 32GB OF RAM IN YOGA 720 IN SOME MODELS!!!!

[​IMG]

9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Boy, you got me all excited for a second! But no, sadly, the first one you pointed out (16GB onboard) only has soldered RAM, no free slots. The second has 8GB soldered and one free slot, so I guess that could have more than 16gb total if the slot supports sodimms larger than 8gb. I have no idea if it does.

I don't know why that one model randomly has a free RAM slot when all the others don't. I wish it wasn't soldered to begin with, but that's all the rage these days. /sigh

10. DreadfulDrummer

DreadfulDrummer Pen Pal - Newbie

According to the Lenovo Companion app, the maximum usable capacity of the slot is 16GB.
    So that would make 24GB... not sure why the Max RAM bar says 32GB, then.

However, I haven't tried anything so I can't testify to the validity of this information.

@surfaceproartist
    Sorry, Rick; I didn't receive any notification of your message. I hope you got it sorted. I saw someone else gave you the battery info; SR527SW Mercury free. Some Seikos should do.

Attached Files: