Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

With mixed feelings, I returned my 720 to Best Buy. The excellent value aside, my intended use as a desktop replacement wasn't a perfect fit and my newly acquired SPv5, originally intended as a companion device, is good enough to serve both roles. Will miss inking on that nice, big screen.

FYI, in the past week have had occasional display hiccups (4k, laptop display, not external). Noise about 2 inches tall flashing briefly in the bottom third of the display. No pattern of occurrence - one hour would happen twice, another would be glitch free. Not the basis for my decision to return, just reporting for the benefit of others.

ATIVQ likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll never understand how easily you guys part with your gear. I can always come up with an excuse to hold on to a device.I still have my first Commodore 64.

DreadfulDrummer likes this.
  3. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

This one wasn't easy. Especially with any purchase intended to be my primary computer, if it isn't defect free and a perfect fit, it doesn't earn a spot on my desk.

sbc5ha9iro likes this.
  4. surfaceproartist

@DreadfulDrummer The Active Pen 2 I ordered arrived from China. Thanks again for the heads up that it was available out the US. I'm having trouble pairing it with my Yoga 720. Holding down the BT button doesn't turn on the LED. Do you know if it has a separate battery for the pen cap? The design is very similar to the Wacom Bamboo Ink which I broke trying to twist off the button looking for a small battery compartment. I don't want to repeat that mistake!

5. xxxxx

xxxxx Pen Pal - Newbie

there are 2 small batteries (sr527sw) for BT. You need to unscrew the treaded part of the main battery compartment to access it (the last 'ring' just above the spring has a small grip), see the attached image . Do NOT try to unscrew the top BT button.

Attached Files:

6. surfaceproartist

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. iLLUSION

iLLUSION Pen Pal - Newbie

I was facing the exact same problem with the display. This is what I did .

1) Downloaded DDU and completely uninstalled the Nvidia and Intel Graphics Driver.
    2) Downloaded the latest Nividia and Intel Driver from their respective website.
    3)Clean installed my Display Drivers.

No more flashing since then. My battery life has increased by ~20 mins.

8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Well, I stopped by my Best Buy today in hopes of trying out the Bamboo Ink pen, but no go. (No go on Galaxy Books either. Boo.) But I did get to check out the Yoga 720, both 13" and 15".

Mostly, they were a massive disappointment. I'm resigned to the fact that any new laptop I get will be a massive disappointment compared to my T901. What a complete dearth of ports. I guess I'm just supposed to depend on a usb-c dock from now on? There was only one of those on the 15", which isn't fantastic.

thatcomicsguy was right though, 16:9 at 15 inches isn't too bad. But there's one inch of blank black space under the screen, and they could have easily put in 16:10 instead if they had the parts.

I also wasn't super impressed with the build quality. I pressed my thumb along the edges of the screen and got some weird spots that showed up. They went away quickly, but I tried the same thing on a nearby Surface Laptop and got nothing.

I'm still not convinced by the Yoga form factor. The keyboard and palm rest is going to get super dirty and all scratched up if I use it in tablet mode often.

It's just... the overall design looked so blank. And that's not specific to the Yoga. All the laptops, minus the Alienware, looked super simplistic, like they were netbooks scaled to the size of real computers but without any of the features that made it a real computer.

What size are these new tiny hex screws on the underside anyway? That crap belongs on cell phones of old. They're so shallow, too. But now they're the new thing in laptops? Since when?

I'm pretty sure this is the death knell on any new tablet pc desktop replacement for me. None of them are desktop replacements. None of them even try to be, because if they did they would just get flooded with complaints of how fat and heavy they are.

Starlight5 and stoneseeker like this.
  9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Anybody tried this BC Master USB C dongle-dock? I like the bar form factor better than the Juiced hub form factor, but for some reason Amazon put the reviews for the USB hub together with the reviews for the USB C dock and I can't tell which is for which.

Regarding putting weight on the display, I write on the display and rest my arm on it all the time, haven't seen any distortion.
    The exposed keyboard in tablet mode does suck, I always use a stand in tablet mode to avoid abrasion.
    I love the unassuming design. When I look at the device I see the display, a small attractive bezel, and nothing more.
    Fat and heavy... let me take you down memory lane when even a 13.3" laptop was 5 pounds easy. This is no notepad or sketchpad but it's incredibly thin and light for a quad-core workstation!

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I don't think @Selofain was complaining that the Yoga 720 is fat and heavy, sort of the opposite I think... he knows that would be the complaint from many reviewers if a manufacturer was to make a TRUE desktop replacement in the convertible form factor. The compromise of ports, power, noise and features in order to be "light and thin" --the current market demand--, isn't worth it to those of us who are hoping for a true desktop replacement in a portable form factor with pen and 15" screen.

At least according to @surfaceproartist it IS an upgrade in power from the Vaio, which is good to hear. Sounds like according to some its lacking in build quality or port selection...

I'm in a similar boat. When I look at these products, they all seem (spec wise) as downgrades in too many of the practical ways to my T902... small things that add up .. When I worked on my T902 I would maximize all my ports, all 4 USB 3, HDMI and the Modular Bay were always in use. I even used the VGA port many times unexpectedly on the few occasions I used the T902 with a projector at a school while giving a presentation, and with my older compatible Cintiq. I dont think I would want a VGA now, I admit, but a HDMI seems like it should still be standard...