Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thundercracker

thundercracker Pen Pal - Newbie

Could always just use a cooling pad.

Zenbook looks interesting, but I imagine you'll pay out the nose for those slightly better specs, and the fact that it doesn't lay flat makes drawing highly questionable, imo.

2. iLLUSION

iLLUSION Pen Pal - Newbie

I had bought a cooling pad for Acer but very soon it started becoming a burden ! I have decided to keep it as for me the cost was $1100 and I have been getting 6 hours battery life (almost) based on my needs which is decent. At this price point I am not seeing laptops which have both a 4K Screen and discrete 1050 graphics. I will just bump up the ram by an additional 16 GB and buy Lenovo Extended Warranty ( 3 Years for ~ $100) and I should be all set for next 4 to 5 Years.

I'mStillLearning likes this.
  3. I'mStillLearning

I'mStillLearning Pen Pal - Newbie

I exchanged my 720 15 4K, because the first one had too much backlight bleeding. I'm happy to say the replacement YOGA's screen has zero backlight bleeding.

southdunes and surfaceproartist like this.
  4. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine is BLB-free, as well.

Lenovo's redesign of the new Yoga screens that left the sizeable bezel at the bottom seems to reduce pressure on the bottom display panel edge (where BLB was most common with older models) when the laptop is opened/flipped around. Hopefully means less of a chance of BLB developing with Yoga screens in the future :thumbsup:

Bronsky likes this.
  5. thundercracker

Finally got mine, bought it through Lenovo because I was set on the black/grey one. Have to say I'm quite impressed with it overall, very fast, very nice screen, no dead pixels. But damn it looks like mine might have some BLB. The bottom right corner and top right corner are quite noticeable in a dark room against a black screen. Trying to decide if it's worth throwing the dice and getting a replacement. Since I went through Lenovo and not best buy, not sure how smooth the process would be.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  6. iLLUSION

iLLUSION Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you post some photos of the BLB

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

7. thundercracker

Yeah, was waiting till it got proper dark to take a picture.

Attached Files:

• blb0.jpg
      blb0.jpg
      File size:
      351.3 KB
      Views:
    thatcomicsguy and ATIVQ like this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I wonder how common light bleed is. Unfortunate that quality control issues might give this outstanding product a bad name.

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think most of my devices have some amount of light bleed. I usually ignore it but this one looks really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Speaking of display defects, I just found a weird one on my Yoga 720-15 4K. About 2mm from the bottom center of the display, there is an area of about 1 square mm whose gamma (or voltage) is slightly offset from the rest of the display. It's not visible on black or white, but it's just a biiit darker when any other color is displayed. I hope this doesn't mean these dots are going to pop up all over the display. If it's just this one I'll live with it since it's on the edge and it's imperceptible under normal use. Such a shame, I thought my display was flawless.