Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@DreadfulDrummer would you mind posting a photo of your pen box label or listing the part number?

2. CIUVAK

CIUVAK Pen Pal - Newbie

Shiratori likes this.
  3. iLLUSION

iLLUSION Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all , I just signed up to this forum . I got my open box 720 ( 4K , GTX1050 2GB, 16 GB RAM....) for $1100 including taxes from Best Buy. I love the machine but there are a few things which I am not liking :-

1) The Wifi is much slower than my 2 year old HP which has a Intel 7265. When I copy data to my Shared USB, HP averages 27 MB/S but the Yoga maxes out at 20 MB/S. Can I swap the Qualcomm card to a Intel 8265 ? Will it work ?

2) The vents are at the bottom. My 7 Year old Acer has the same issue. This would mean I cannot work on this laptop by placing it on the carpet or on the bed as it will block the Vents. Any suggestions on how to get around this ?

3) I am one of those people who buy like one laptop in 5 years so I always prefer buying something which is future proof. I really hoped TB3 and the eGPU support would make this laptop future proof but the fact that the TB3 is connected to only 2 express lanes is a major let down. However some youtube videos are suggesting that 2 vs 4 Express lanes dont matter with mid tier Graphics cards.

Since I am within the 14 day return window do I keep this laptop or wait for the Asus UX550 ? I love the 4K Display, and since this is my first 2 in 1 I just love the way you can turn the screen around for skype/movies. Please help me decide.

harrodeleted likes this.
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The Asus Zenbook Pro UX550 does look better, with thermal intake at the sides and exhaust at the back. The Yoga 720 15 gets very hot when placed on a soft surface because it blocks its intake. The Asus has a better port array too, but it's not a convertible so the writing experience is going to be so-so at best, having to brace the display when you write. Can't tell you anything about the WiFi, my router is Wireless N so it only supports speeds up to 150Mbps (18.75MBps) but I think the contributing factor here is the antenna placement (I think the Yoga only has 1, while other devices have MIMO).

5. CIUVAK

CIUVAK Pen Pal - Newbie

The bottom on the UX550 doesn't have any exhausts or intakes, which is great for the described scenario:

[​IMG]

The two grill areas seen on the bottom are the two speakers towards the front of the laptop. The actual exhaust are at the back, where the screen hinge is.
    It looks like they designed the air flow so the air goes inside the case thru the speaker grills seen in the picture above but also the other two speaker grills next to the keyboard:

[​IMG]

I guess we'll find more when the reviews will start coming in.
    There are no side air intakes on the UX550:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forgot to add:
    All pictures are from here: http://notebookitalia.it/asus-zenbook-pro-ux550-specifiche-prezzo-foto-video-25308

6. iLLUSION

Thanks for replying , as per HWINFO its a Qualcomm 6174 adapter which is supposed to be a 2X2 MiMO as per the link below.
    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qca6174a-dual-band-wi-fi

My only concern is that Lenovo has been white listing the Wifi Cards that work with some Yoga models and I was wondering if someone has an idea whether it will work with the 720 15". The 720 13" has the 8265 card though so maybe its worth a try ?

7. iLLUSION

Thanks for the link, the model will have two TB3 ports which is awesome but again the question is whether to wait for the much more expensive UX550 or keep the 720 ? :(

8. DreadfulDrummer

DreadfulDrummer Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    ATIVQ likes this.
  9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I wonder if it's compatible with the old Wacom EMR nibs, I vastly prefer them over the new Bamboo Smart nibs.

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks! Found one on eBay from China and ordered it. Part number is 5T70M55297.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.