Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

1. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not an Electrical Engineer but my concern is not about size component but the heat produced. I couldn't find any paper about VHF regarding the heat produced. Energy+Heat+Small package = disaster.
    I only found some 'marketing article' from Finsix. I found old discussion at EEV where some also says some concern about the technology itself, one of the latest answer said he has seen the teardown and said finsix is struggled with vhf tech too much.

Well, if they can tame all the hazard down and can make 100W++ adapter, that'd be awesome because I don't need to carry throwing weapon anymore all the time :D.

How is present supercap doing? From what I've seen from the past they're pretty much have lower dense package than lithium battery, hence making it bulkier. My knowledge is bit back from 3 years ago and if I'm not mistaken the smallest possible supercap use CNT or graphene. Now unless both of them are viable, we won't see supercap hitting commercial anytime soon but I know that some research shows promising result for graphene battery (not supercap) .

2. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

3. CIUVAK

CIUVAK Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]
    First thing I noticed: it looks like 8GB RAM are soldered in and there is only one slot available to upgrade with a 8GB stick, so maximum is 16GB.
    Still no confirmation that this will have a quad core cpu.
    Also, one video on youtube mentioned that there is a choice between a 2.5" sized HDD/SSD or M.2 format.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  4. CIUVAK

CIUVAK Pen Pal - Newbie

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No mention of North America availability or pricing. Does this mean we won't see the 720 in the US or Canada? I notice that the 520 will be marketed here as the Lenovo Flex 5.

6. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually 24 GB, because you can use 16 GB SO-DIMM modules.

All earlier leaks included the Quad-Core spec. Its pretty safe to say that it will have a Quad-Core CPUs. Also, notice the battery life estimates, with a U-Series CPU, this would be a much higher number (72 Wh is pretty big for a U-Series CPU, but just adequate for a HQ-CPU).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Starlight5 and CIUVAK like this.
  7. CIUVAK

CIUVAK Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, 24GB. Can Lenovo limit the slot maximum, though?
    Looks like a 16GB is roughly double the price vs a 8GB stick, so pretty reasonable.
    You are also right about the battery life numbers that are listed on the official specs. These are too short to reflect a U cpu. So hopefully this model will get the HQ cpus.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  8. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Theoretically, Lenovo could limit it, but they are never doing it like this. The CPU can do 64 GB, I think its safe to assume that it will accept 16 GB modules. Remains to be tested of course.

9. CIUVAK

CIUVAK Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like the cpu is definitely quad core, or at least on the demo units they are showing now at MWC. Great news!

10. CIUVAK

CIUVAK Pen Pal - Newbie

hiramkey and cutterline like this.