Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

The Best Buy sale tipped the scales for me, testing my new 720 now. The value proposition of the specs and build quality is remarkable, honestly waiting for the catch. Should have two thunderbolt docks delivered this afternoon (Dell and Plugable), will report back with results.

ATIVQ likes this.
  2. Xero

Xero Pen Pal - Newbie

Yoga 720 15" w/o GTX 1050 owner here. Anyone have issues with the fan spinning loudly at somewhat random/minor usage (i.e: web browsing/downloading)? Is there a way to control the fan profile? Also, I have annoying issue with the brightness auto adjusting despite disabling this function in Power Option and the Lenovo Settings app.

3. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

My fans are very quiet. Yes, they do spin up sometimes. However, they're very quiet compared to my Fujitsu T902. Consider going to UEFI configuration and putting your system in Balanced mode. Lenovo defaults it to Performance mode. Also kill off some of those background programs (seriously, why are there 4 audio craplets for dinky little laptop speakers?). You may also need to select Balanced mode from Windows Power Settings, Lenovo Settings, and both video driver configuration utilities (Intel and Nvidia).

As for the auto brightness, this is probably being caused by the Intel Power Saving crap (assuming you turned off auto brightness in both Windows Display settings and Lenovo Settings). It adjusts brightness based on the lightness or darkness of content on your screen. I find the Intel brightness to be obnoxious when I'm trying to use Blender. Go to the Intel HD Graphics configuration, Power options, and look for something like power saving or dynamic brightness. Turn it off! That should fix the problem.

Note the theme of this post is redundancy. 4 audio craplets. 3 different brightness monitors. All this redundancy uses up system resources that could be better spent sending maximum performance to your games or programs when you need it, or parking resources to save heat and power.

I'mStillLearning, ATIVQ and Xero like this.
  4. Xero

Xero Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, this post is very informative and seems to solve all of my problems. My only question is regarding the audio apps you're talking about. I only see the dolby atmos app(s) for audio control. Are there other audio controlling apps that I'm unaware of?

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

There are about three "HD Audio" background processes other than the two Dolby Atmos apps. In Task Manager > Startup, disable everything except Windows Defender (or McAfee Anti-Virus Trial if you haven't uninstalled it already). I heartily recommend uninstalling everything that isn't bolted down. You don't need McAfee, Windows comes with Defender. You don't need Atmos. You don't even need Realtek HD Audio manager for that matter, but Windows Update keeps reinstalling it.

Turn off all the fancy audio options (to my ears they just make the audio echo), turn off all the Intel HD Graphics power-saving options (dynamic brightness is annoying and unhelpful), remove all the Lenovo apps unless you want to limit battery charging to 60% with Lenovo Settings (which requires Lenovo System Interface Foundations).

Windows is really a mess when it comes to all these things. I have a Lenovo keyboard driver here that runs six processes in the background! I uninstalled the driver and ran the one background process I actually need (which toggles the function keys between media buttons and F1-F12).

Even now I have between five and ten non-essential Windows applications that I didn't install and can't uninstall. Seriously Microsoft, I can't uninstall Paint 3D? It's part of the OS? Sheesh.

Thankfully the age of really terrible drivers that crash the system or conflict with each other is mostly behind us, but Realtek, Synaptics, Lenovo, and even Microsoft themselves are guilty of making really obtrusive and excessively resource-demanding drives.

Had to vent a little bit...

6. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Update -

Two docks tested this afternoon, one is functioning well. The Dell WD15 (180W) dock is solid: video (3440x1440 @ 59Hz), USB ports, and audio all working reliably. No power delivery, which is disappointing, but the 720 has a larger than normal requirement. The Plugable UD-CA1 was a fail, with video somewhat functional, but USB and audio weren't.

Just finished a clean install of Windows, humming along nicely so far. If anyone here plans to do the same, have the Intel RST driver saved to USB. Windows setup won't otherwise recognize the SSD.

7. I'mStillLearning

I'mStillLearning Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you!

8. I'mStillLearning

I'mStillLearning Pen Pal - Newbie

This was helpful--thank you.

southdunes likes this.
  9. DreadfulDrummer

DreadfulDrummer Pen Pal - Newbie

May I ask where you got this configuration?

10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I got it from a local brick-and-mortar shop, not in the US. There's a slightly beefier model (1TB SSD) on Lenovo's website available in Australia, New Zealand, and Hong Kong. Local shops in Europe have various models that aren't available in the US.

Further not-so-first impressions:
    • Occasional screen flicker: when using both the Nvidia and Intel GPUs, every now and again the top quarter of the display shows a garbled frame. Workaround is choosing "Nvidia GPU only" in the BIOS, or disabling Nvidia in Device Manager for Intel-only GPU. This could probably be resolved with a future driver update.
    • GPU thermals: The device runs cooler and quieter when using just the Nvidia GPU, probably because it has its own thermal sink and fan. Not sure about battery life though.
    • USB 3 causing WiFi interference: this is a known issue with unshielded USB 3 cables. When the Yoga 720 is in tablet mode, the TB3 port is right next to the WiFi antenna (I assume) so using unshielded cables with USB 3 devices kills the WiFi reception. Workaround: use the USB 3 port on the other side, or get shielded cables.
    • Fingerprint reader: I find it works best when registering each finger twice, with the tip of the pad and the middle of the pad. That way you don't have to fumble for the correct part when touching the sensor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.