Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That sounds quite different from my experience with Wacom's AES.

I find that with EMR I have to push a tiny bit harder to get past the IAF barrier than I did with AES. My Dell was much more refined in terms of pressure sensitivity, picking up very light strokes my EMR Penabled devices wouldn't catch.

It was one of the things about AES I really noticed upon returning to EMR after half a year. (I readjusted quickly enough, but it was definitely a point of note.)

Maybe the drivers are worth tinkering with a bit in your case?

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Might be, but it really doesn't bother me, I don't need super-accurate line-width variation. The biggest problem is the wobbly diagonal lines, but that's a problem for artists, not note-takers.

You're asking the wrong person. I absolutely hate pixelated text. For example the T904 in portrait mode is 1440 pixels wide, and that's what I'd consider the minimum for viewing a document. The 720-15 is a whopping 2160 pixels wide in portrait, which is great, and I can even read documents in landscape mode on half the display - 1920x2160, pretty sharp!

1080p is junk for me, even at 13.3". I wouldn't get anything under 200 PPI.

Ideally I'd get a device with a 4K 10-bit DCI-P3 calibrated display, but that's just not happening any time soon.

Video in question in case anyone's wondering. Thanks for the tip!

GalCohen and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

@ATIVQ, were you able to settle on a docking solution? Interested to hear the result -

4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

More impressions...

Dongle:
    • Went with the Juiced USB-C BizHub. It offers the most interfaces: HDMI, SD, MicroSD, 3x USB 3.0, verified 1000Mbit Ethernet speeds, and USB-PD which I haven't tested but I assume isn't supported on the 720-15. My external USB 3.0 harddrive actually reads and writes slightly faster when it's connected through the dongle than directly to the 720-15. Weird.
    Battery life:
    • Don't get this device if you have to work away from a power outlet, or a desk tor that matter.
    • If you're on battery power, switch to "power saver"... You won't notice the CPU throttling unless you're doing something you shouldn't be doing on battery power...
    • The battery is rated for 72Wh, but mine is already reporting 70Wh full charge capacity.
    • Battery life is very sensitive to CPU usage. Thankfully, it appears that the CPU is very efficient when it comes to decoding video, so you could maybe make it through 9 hours of watching video on long trips, on 0% brightness. I've only tested it for one hour and it drained 11% of the battery.
    • Putting the brightness at 30% would probably knock that down to about 6.5 hours. Tested for one hour, drained 15%.
    • Office use (Wi-Fi, web-browsing, word processing) would cut it to 4 hours.
    • There's a "conservation mode" in the Lenovo Settings app that limits battery charge to 60%, so less stress is placed on the battery compared to being 100% charged. It's a nice feature for people who keep our devices plugged in all the time, like me.

5. MrRedPanda

MrRedPanda Pen Pal - Newbie

Having the Laptop now somedays with only 1080p and like it so far.

I don't see why you don't get a good response with your pen. After I adjusted it in the preinstalled WACOM PEN software and tried to adjust the slider a bit, I got a pretty good pressure curve in comparison to EMR it doesn't lack anything at all.

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Gotta congratulate Lenovo on their above-and-beyond customer service. I had a tiny bit of trouble registering my product for warranty, so I contacted support. Turns out their website was undergoing maintenance. Without me even asking, they added another month and a half to my warranty and tossed me a Lenovo Store coupon ($10-$100 off depending on the total). Incredible!

testdrive7 and Starlight5 like this.
  7. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

I'mStillLearning likes this.
  8. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I got the 1TB Yoga 720 off Lenovo's site for $1399 recently. It arrived a few days ago. I can share the promo link and code via PM (it shouldn't be posted publicly).

So far the machine seems nice! I had to tweak the UEFI settings and disable all the Dolby and audio crap (seriously -- they're just crappy laptop speakers, not some surround powerhouse). I haven't had time to draw on it yet other than a few quick strokes to confirm it works. There was some sort of uneven coating on my screen so wiping it down was important to stop the stylus from squeaking. Removing the Lenovo Active Pen nib and re-inserting it was also critical (it arrives stock with the nib shoved in too deeply). Stylus seemed very responsive and quick to activate to me. I don't have a decision on pressure response yet, but I will say the positioning accuracy is better than my Wacom EMR Fujitsu T902.

9. thundercracker

thundercracker Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't believe you can get a 1TB ssd these days for that much. Is there any disadvantage to having a 1tb over a 512gb, as far as speed and reliability?

10. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had a 1TB SSD in my desktop for 3 years now. No problems. It's a SATA 3 model so not as fast as the Yoga 720's PCIe SSD.

The extra space may improve performance and extend useful life. Filling up an SSD is bad since it degrades the wear-leveling technology's ability to perform its job. Having ample extra space gives a larger pool of memory for wear-leveling to utilize. SSDs from reputable brands are reliable these days, so I don't think there's any concern about failure likelihood being higher or lower for different sizes of SSDs in the Yoga 720 (I believe they use Samsung SSDs).

I bought the 1TB because I know I'll probably put 600 to 700 GBs worth of data on this thing.

thundercracker likes this.