Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It must be the digitizer grid.
    I can easily see it on the Asus PT201Q pen display and on the Cintiq 27.
    I can also see it on the Surface Book if I look close enough.

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Some minor clarifications regarding Thunderbolt 3:
    4K displays are also supported on a non-TB3 USB-C port with DP Alt Mode. You only need TB3 for dual 4K@60Hz or single 5K@60Hz (with 8 lanes for DisplayPort). AFAIK, a x2 PCIe TB3 port will also offer less display bandwidth.

HDMI 2.0 is actually not supported by TB3 or USB-C. DisplayPort, HDMI and MHL are all specified as USB Alternate Modes and the detailed specifications are each defined by VESA or the HDMI consortium or the MHL consortium. HDMI is only specified as HDMI 1.4b for the HDMI Alt Mode. All docks, adapters etc. that offer HDMI 2.0 over USB-C are actually using a DisplayPort Signal from the computer and then using an active converter to HDMI 2.0. Thunderbolt 2 also supports DisplayPort 1.2, just not dual DP1.2 like a "full" TB3 connection.

Also, thanks a lot for your impressions on the Yoga 720, especially in comparison to the T904. I am on the same page as you, it is disappointing that they didn't take advantage of the big size in terms of ports and the keyboard. One more question: How is the noise of the keyboard and trackpad compared to the T904?

ATIVQ and Starlight5 like this.
  3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The T904 keyboard is very quiet, but I can't say the 720-15 keyboard is "loud", it's just slightly clicky, which I think is better, I always felt the T904 keyboard was too soft. Also, speaking of noise, even though the 720-15 fans are "louder" at full blast, the sound they make is much more pleasant compared to the screeching whine of the T904 fan. With the T904, I'd put it in power-saver mode whenever the fan spun up just so I don't have to hear it. With the 720-15, I hear the fans running, but the sound doesn't bother me at all.

More impressions about the pen: EMR definitely has a better pressure curve. With AES I find it difficult to make very light or very heavy lines, everything always comes out medium. With EMR I can merely rest the pen on the display and click, with AES I have to press slightly firmly. EMR almost never misses very light strokes, while AES doesn't even register the lightest strokes. Overall, however, the pen is a vast improvement over the T904 for note-taking because the calibration is so good. I'll have to get used to the heavier pressure and the unbalanced pressure curve. Combined with the larger display and resolution, it makes paperwork far far more convenient, although the inferior pressure control might make it less desirable for art.

Biggest complaint is the lack of ports, oh how I hate dongles.

Surprisingly, the 720-15 and its power adapter fit perfectly in the very same bag I used for the T904. I love that bag, I'm glad I don't have to replace it.

Thank you for the details about TB3, I didn't mean to imply USB-C doesn't support any 4K displays, just some 4K displays.

GalCohen likes this.
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@ATIVQ regarding dongles, why not just get a USB-C or Thunderbolt docking station? Since you have cables sticking out of it anyway.

5. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I gave up waiting for the 1050 4GB. Too much conflicting information about whether or not it's even coming to the USA. Most countries show only 2GB available. I put in an order for the 1TB SSD model last night. Looking forward to drawing and gaming on this thing. =)

6. GalCohen

GalCohen Pen Pal - Newbie

@ATIVQ

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

That's exactly what I'm looking for, what do you recommend? I've seen a couple that were needlessly bulky and not very impressive.

Unrelated: Geekbench scores. The Vaio Z Canvas is only about 10%-15% slower than the Y720-15 i7.

Marty likes this.
  8. GalCohen

GalCohen Pen Pal - Newbie

A Thunderbolt 3 docking station will usually be bulky because of the 100W transfer, for USB C docks there is one from satechi you can find on Amazon, seems well made and has high review scores.
    Linus has a video about USB C dongles, you should watch it

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That sounds quite different from my experience with Wacom's AES.

I find that with EMR I have to push a tiny bit harder to get past the IAF barrier than I did with AES. My Dell was much more refined in terms of pressure sensitivity, picking up very light strokes my EMR Penabled devices wouldn't catch.

It was one of the things about AES I really noticed upon returning to EMR after half a year. (I readjusted quickly enough, but it was definitely a point of note.)

Maybe the drivers are worth tinkering with a bit in your case?

10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Might be, but it really doesn't bother me, I don't need super-accurate line-width variation. The biggest problem is the wobbly diagonal lines, but that's a problem for artists, not note-takers.

You're asking the wrong person. I absolutely hate pixelated text. For example the T904 in portrait mode is 1440 pixels wide, and that's what I'd consider the minimum for viewing a document. The 720-15 is a whopping 2160 pixels wide in portrait, which is great, and I can even read documents in landscape mode on half the display - 1920x2160, pretty sharp!

1080p is junk for me, even at 13.3". I wouldn't get anything under 200 PPI.

Ideally I'd get a device with a 4K 10-bit DCI-P3 calibrated display, but that's just not happening any time soon.

Video in question in case anyone's wondering. Thanks for the tip!

GalCohen and thatcomicsguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.