Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just picked mine up at Best Buy. The 1050's dedicated VRAM is 2GB. But I thought that's what the Lenovo.com model listed as well.

2. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, the $1500 one on Lenovo's website is a 2GB too. Seems to have the same specs as the Best Buy one at $1400. It's very, very tempting. They're in stock nearby too. I could pick one up today if I wanted (and I do want to).

I'm hung up on this image from the 720 hardware manual:

[​IMG]

That image indicates a 1050 4GB is an option (orange highlight; green is what we have now). Lenovo reps seem to have zero idea about it. I can't change VRAM so I'd like to get as much of it as possible especially given that I'll have the tablet for 4+ years.

3. CIUVAK

CIUVAK Pen Pal - Newbie

There will be a 1050 with 4GB for sure. Only question is if they plan to bring it to US/Canada. For example Lenovo Belgium, sells two i5 models one with 1050 2GB and one with 1050 4GB, and I don't think it's a mistake because you can also see these motherboards listed in that table from the manual as "I57300 N17 2GB 8GB" and "I57300 N17 4GB 8GB". Here is the product page, scroll down: http://shop.lenovo.com/be/fr/laptops/yoga/700-series/yoga-720-15/
    [​IMG]

4. thundercracker

thundercracker Pen Pal - Newbie

Best buy isn't necessarily cheaper, with tax it will be about $1500. At least ordering from lenovo you may not be charged tax, depending on your state, and there's a $50 off coupon floating around. Add in 5-7% cashback from one of those sites and that's ~$1350-1380, so lenovo would be the cheapest route. Unless of course you want to return it, then you'll get hosed. Also seems like it won't be shipping for a few weeks.

5. surfaceproartist

Instant gratification beats all!

And living in California, this state never saw a tax it didn't impose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDragon and thundercracker like this.
  6. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish Lenovo would give an official statement about this. Is Lenovo going to release a 1050 4GB in the US or not? That's all I want to know. The answer I got from their Twitter people was just a maybe, so more waiting. A new model appears every week or two so waiting seems to be ideal. I can wait another month, tops.

Lenovo is slightly cheaper, but I'd rather buy it from Best Buy. As an artist, I have zero tolerance for dead pixels. My Fujitsu T902 is a replacement for one that initially arrived very broken from Newegg. This one also has a defect (bad microphones). I will avoid the shipping hassle if I can.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  7. DreadfulDrummer

DreadfulDrummer Pen Pal - Newbie

The 15"? It uses a proprietary charger which, if it's the version with the dGPU, is a 135W charger, I believe. Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 can't carry enough current to power awll dat.

8. thundercracker

I don't put much repute in best buy reviews but this guy says of the 4k version: "The battery last just as long as my 2015 MacBook Pro. I was on 7hrs, 21 mins with 22% still showing on the battery meter. My 2016 Y700 is a pig when it comes to battery life and can barely muster 3.5 hrs!SO big props to Lenovo on this one!"

9. surfaceproartist

I can't verify that yet but the 720 is certainly big enough to hold a very large battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. thundercracker

I'm in a pickle, I spoke with lenovo on chat and they said they will be offering the gtx 1050 with 4gb vram, but couldn't give me a date. However ebates has 15% cashback this week, so for me that would be $1233. Trouble is I do 3d work, zbrush, that kind of thing. But I'm not exactly sure how vram will hold me back, if it even will. I don't intend to game heavily on this. So I'm not sure if I need that extra vram is needed or not.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.