Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Celpacius You answered the question. If portability isn't a concern, you're better off with a powerful PC and a Cintiq. The Yoga 720's AES is very nice, but the latest pen tech in the Cintiq Pro and MobileStudio Pro is superior.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Echoing Surfaceproartist here...

If you need a high-quality interface and don't need to be portable.., it makes a lot of sense to go with a fixed desk device.

The portable, Tablet PC range of options finds itself in a peculiar state right now, where nearly all the new portables provide a measurably worse drawing experience than fixed desktop rigs. -This is true with only a couple of exceptions, one being the costly Wacom Cintiq companion/mobile line, -and even then there seems to be some trouble people are having getting their devices to render a straight line!

Fujitsu offers the t9-- line with EMR at 13.3" wide screen. And the Galaxy Book looks like it might be great as well. (Fingers crossed for its impending release).

But I generally advise people to get a good desk setup first if possible and work from there.

-That isn't what I did. My first machine was an old Toshiba Portege M200 back in the day, -and I just put that on my desk with some wood built around it to make it into a flush surface, (like an animation light table)! Except for being a little on the small side, it worked fairly well.

These days, there are a lot more options available for establishing a decent digital drafting board.

This whole situation where cutting edge Tablet PCs offer crappy drawing capabilities is quite new. Who would have thought digitizer tech would get worse with time? Not me, but there it is!

3. surfaceproartist

Just returned the 720 to Best Buy. Easy as pie, no questions asked. Lack of dGPU a legitimate reason for the return. But I still feel horrible. How do you guys do it? Or is this just hoarder withdrawal symptoms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As long I purchased the device with the actual intent of keeping it, I don't feel bad about returning if I have a gripe or two.

That's the purpose of the satisfaction guarantee:

(From Best Buy)
    "If you are not fully satisfied with your purchase, let us help you with a replacement, return or repair.
    You can return or exchange almost everything within 15 days for a full refund."

You're not abusing policy at all in my opinion. :)

thatcomicsguy and JoeS like this.
  5. surfaceproartist

I know that I'm within my rights. But it PAINS me to let a perfectly good device go. Right up until the time I reset it, I was trying to play out scenarios to justify holding on to it "in the interest of science."

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah...I see. Yes, I have 'hoarder symptoms' too (I have two EP121's; outdated yes, but I wanted an extra one 'just in case' hehe).

Well, I guess that explains why you have a personal museum of Tablet PCs. It's great! :D

7. pen user

pen user Pen Pal - Newbie

I returned the Full HD Lenovo version (with dGPU) last week and got the 4K version. There was no problem with the Full HD version but the 4K version is just much better value. There was no questions asked from Lenovo either - when I told them a more expensive model was ordered.

The screen is much nicer on the 4K model (although still only have a max 300 nits brightness); it still needs to be calibrated - and the result is nearly identical to the FHD version. With a 512GB Samsung PM961 and 16GB RAM, it does feel a bit faster - though I don't have tools handy to benchmark it.

ATIVQ and Marty like this.
  8. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@pen user did you actually measure the brightness? Some Lenovo models e.g. TPY 370, 260 are noticeably brighter than rated 300 nits - maybe it is the case with 720 too.

9. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Intel ever ships 4 cores i7-U ?

10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ Vā…Oā…„ Senior Member

Aw, disappointing.