Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm very eager to see reviews. :thumbsup: Keep up the great benchmarks and drawing impressions! Much appreciated!

These early comments are concerning. I had expected the 720 to outperform the Z Canvas. I suppose it still does in the graphics department, but those CPU benchmarks are concerning. Yes, it's better than the other 2-in-1 tablets. These early numbers don't back up the "best in class performance" Lenovo has been boasting.

I'm itching to get a new tablet for both drawing and gaming on the go.

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Doesn't the Canvas use dual-channel RAM even in the 8GB configuration? I wouldn't be surprised if the Yoga 720 uses only single-channel. That could add to to the Yoga 720's less exciting performance.

3. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, 720 8GB version is single channel (soldered), user can add 8 GB more to it. So far only the 4K 1050 has has 16GB RAM as default config.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's some scribbling tests in Clip Studio Paint, 10x15, 300 dpi, no stabilization.

I tried to Ink looking through the camera screen and I just can't handle it.

[EDIT] I should add that this is at 100% zoom level, the brush is 18 px. Using Windows Ink, not Wintab. Pressure curve is at default. I also have not calibrated the pen.

The Active Pen is the one I reviewed here: http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2016/7/20/curious-case-of-lenovos-newest-active-pen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  5. TheIntendedLife

TheIntendedLife Pen Pal - Newbie

My 720 15 4K is arriving tomorrow. What driver issues did you have?

6. Celpacius

Celpacius Pen Pal - Newbie

would you say this is the best 2 in 1 tablet for drawing? judging from the video, it looks pretty good. but how close does this compare to the Wacom MobileStudio?

7. surfaceproartist

Purely for drawing, the MobileStudio Pro 16 is better, but it would be a terrible laptop. The Yoga 720 15 is definitely better than the Dell 7568, but I'm not ready to name this particular model king of the hill.

ATIVQ and CIUVAK like this.
  8. pen user

pen user Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a setting in BIOS that set's CPU's TDP (I don't remember the name but can look up later), with default sets to "balanced". You can try to set it to "performance" and do the benchmark again.

For the memory bandwidth, it is likely caused by the fact that the 8GB Yoga 720 is single channel. Add another RAM and the results should be comparable.

ATIVQ likes this.
  9. surfaceproartist

Any idea how to enter BIOS settings on this thing?

10. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

Use a paperclip on the little hole to the left of the machine. It looks like a reset button. Apparently it's the "Novo" button and lets you into the firmware config when powered off.

Marty and surfaceproartist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.