Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15.6" Convertible with Active Pen, GeForce 1050 and Quad-Core CPUs

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Feb 11, 2017.

1. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know when they put it but XPS 15 9560 actually states that it only use 2 lanes on the spec page. Maybe a lot of people complained about it. Maybe people should complain more about this kind of thing.

If anyone curious about eGPU performance, it doesn't really hurt that much, around 10% drop compared to x4 (The chart used pcie 2.0 x4 as 3.0 x2 which theoretically has the same speed). For other stuffs that fully uses 40 Gbps, this x2 madness is a bummer though.

In other news, PCIe 4.0 final spec, which doubles 3.0, is expected to be released this year and it has oculink-2 as alternative to TB connector. I just hope this kind of half arsery in a product will be gone in the future.

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dell didn't mention the 2 lane-only thing in their specs until they faced serious criticism for it. IIRC, they denied it at first, then said it didn't matter and then seemingly tried to shift the discussion by saying they were going to certifiy eGPU solutions for their TB3 laptops.

So only after users were digging into the details of their devices when testing TB3 eGPU docks and confronting Dell with the facts, Dell put these 2 lane remarks in the fine print of their specs. Of course the TB3 40Gb/s feature is still more prominently advertised. That remains true for DisplayPort usage, and the TB3 spec allows for x2 PCIe, but that doesn't excuse such behavior.

I know that the perfomance dip isn't that big with eGPU, but you have to consider that TB3 even at 40Gb/s already limits the GPU a tiny bit and the typical laptop CPU will also cause a double digit performance gap compared to a desktop rig, so limiting it even more through x2 PCIe makes this even more annoying. Combine those limitations with the ridiculous overpriced TB3 eGPU docks and the whole affair sometimes seems not worth the money.

IMHO, we wouldn't get so many troubles if people would not just complain about these things but as a result would simply not buy such flawed products. But if we keep giving companies our money for flawed, buggy but sometimes still overpriced products with sometimes artificial limitations, they will continue to try to rip us off.

dellaster likes this.
  3. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

PSREF is out and guess what? They are sticking to the tradition, 4k 300 nits :D
    Also, they can give you pcie 3.0 x4 on M.2 SSD but not on TB.

southdunes and ATIVQ like this.
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

No Ethernet port? UUUUUUUGH. COMPROMISES. Vaio Z Canvas 2 where are you.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

While I would love more nits and better battery life, 100%, I do have to admit I'm generally very happy with my Thinkpad Yoga 14. I use it outdoors from time to time and it does the job- as long as the program I'm using is black and white, like Sketchup. That's generally easy. There are so many other benefits to a Thinkpad, I live with the less than superbright screen. Build quality is excellent, sound quality ain't bad, love the keyboard, I love a trackpoint, and it supports a pen and has a charging silo for the supercapacitor pen. Would it be nice if they upped it back up to 400 nits, the way the Thinkpad Yoga 12 was? Yes. Yes it would. But all laptops are tradeoffs.

6. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Another sky high device

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

If you always wanted see a young woman sit around and talk about the Yoga 720 in Bulgarian look no further.

southdunes and surfaceproartist like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I always did ... and still do. Dead link.

9. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Not missing much, unless your Bulgarian is better than mine. She sits on a couch with the back of the Yoga facing the camera for nearly the entire clip.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

She uploaded a new video, but it's still in Bulgarian. Anyway I posted it as a joke but I wasn't making fun of her specifically, just making fun of the fact that it's in Bulgarian and I have no idea what it says. It's also funny that the first video review of this product is in Bulgarian.

[​IMG]

southdunes and Bronsky like this.