Lenovo Yoga 520/Flex 5 for 2D animation?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Dellaclearing, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Dellaclearing

Dellaclearing Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I'd really appreciate some help and advice with buying a new tablet from all you experts please!!

Up until recently I owned a Core i5, 128 SSD, 4gb Ram Surface Pro 3 until it died on me completely out of the blue without any warning! Just went to sleep and refused to ever wake up! Out of warranty Microsoft wanted nearly £500 to replace, and although I loved it, that was too expensive for an old device.

I'm an Animator/Illustrator, my main applications are Adobe Flash/Animate cc, Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere. I also use Construct 2 to design mobile games and have been thinking of moving into Unity recently. All of these programs ran fine on my SP3.

1. What is your budget?
    £7-800

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No, would rather buy new, preferably with long warranty!

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows nootebook.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 12 to 14-inches
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    England, UK

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Avoiding Surface line after my SP3 died unexpectedly!

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    6-8 hours, but the longer the better.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Drawing, illustrating, animation, web surfing, entertainment

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows only.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Adobe Animate cc, Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, Scirra Construct 2.
    Maybe I'll start learning Cinema 4D and Unity soon.

11. Do you intend on playing Games?
    No games. I develop simple 2D games for mobile, and may begin designing 2.5D games in Unity soon. But I am no gamer, never play high end games on PC.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    I may occasionally hook it up to a TV screen via HDMI but that would be all.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    1080p or higher

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Very unlikely.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Absolutely MUST have a pen. Preferably Wacom, I've tested EMR on a Lenovo Miix 510, the experience was very good. I've never tested an AES panel before but have read positive feedback on this forum.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    256gb SSD, 8gb RAM. Expandable would be a nice option for the future.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Full size USB port/s, MicroSD or full size SD card slot would be okay as I can use an adapter. Either micro or full size HDMI port. At least 1 x USB C would be nice too.

Unless someone has a better suggestion, I'm thinking about a Lenovo Yoga 520, (known as the Flex 5 in the US)
    http://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/yoga/500-series/Yoga-520-14/p/88YG5000829

... It's currently £750 for an i5-7200U Kabylake, 8gb Ram, 256 SSD, 14" 1080p screen. I also like that it is openable so hopefully more repairable/upgradable than the SP3 was. It gets pretty good reviews in terms of battery and performance and has all the ports I need. Only drawback, but certainly no deal breaker, is that it only comes in an unattractive grey colour!

It's compatible with Lenovo Active Pen (not included, I'll need to buy this separately), I believe this is a Wacom EAS system which I've never tried before but seems to have positive feedback on this forum. I recently tried and liked the pen on the Lenovo Miix 510 tablet (Wacom EMR) but I don't now how similar this experience is to AES.

There is also an NVIDIA GeForce GT 940MX 2GB GDDR5 graphics card, I don't know if this will help performance with the software I use though?
    I'm not a gamer and have never had graphics cards in my computers and always managed to run Flash, Photoshop, even Blender before. I may move into Cinema 4D and Unity for 2.5D game development in the future though as these are becoming popular in my field. Intel 620 graphics are pretty good these days though so maybe I don't really need a graphics card? This isn't really an area I know anything about I'm afraid.

There is also an i3-7100U version with Intel 620 too. It's only £629 but has a 1TB 5400 HDD, 2 cell battery instead of 3 but still has 8gb RAM, so maybe I could get away with the i3 and just upgrade to an SSD? This one is available in black which is a big bonus too!!

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!!

2. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni Pen Pal - Newbie

I was planning on buying the flex 5 too the 14" model . but my local PC store owner (the best around) told me its poor in quality, very plasticy but has all the specs on a budget,the main trade off that the screen display is a bit dim and its plastic, so you gotta take of it.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I only played with the Flex 5 briefly at a local Best Buy. I didn't think it felt cheap at all. I would get the best device you can afford with a minimum 8GB RAM, an i5 processor and discrete graphics. That will handle most anything you throw at it. Any less will tend to choke on animation rendering.

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  4. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni Pen Pal - Newbie

Idk, but store owners usually reject the idea of the flex for some reason.
    There could another reason and they won't mention it. It made me skeptical but I still had it in my mind.

I just think in general if Dellaclearing wants it they you gotta see it with your eyes first and exam in it well.

5. cocoua

cocoua Pen Pal - Newbie

hi are you sure Miix 510 uses ERM? because I'm reading all over other sites that is using AES, this is the only place I found it as is using ERM.

thanks

6. Shiratori

Shiratori Pen Pal - Newbie

We have 3 Miix 510 tablets in this household and I can confirm that it's AES.

7. cocoua

cocoua Pen Pal - Newbie

OK!

Thanks!

And do you know if Adobe Animate brush tool works good or it have some problems like surface pro3,4,5?
    In the n-tring surfaces, brush starts deawing a second after you push, so a straight line appears at the begining of each stroke. This is a well known problem in Adobe comunity, just wondering if wacom aes has it too, as both system are active ES

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017