Lenovo X61t running Jaunty

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by Kyle Porter, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

I've tried both the 64-and 32-bit releases of Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope. I had some problems with installing applications under 64, most notably flash (which was resolved) and Skype (which I couldn't resolve). Once I moved to 32-bit it was smooth sailing.

Tablet functionality works out of the box with no fiddling. Anyone with experience running previous releases knows all too well about messing with xorg.conf ti get things working, but there's no need with Jaunty. As I mentioned in another thread, Evernote works well with Wine, including inking notes, and even looks pretty nice. The Firefox Evernote Web Clipper just uses the web interface, but that's fine for my usage. LogMeIn Firefox add-on is also working great, but will not work with 64-bit Firefox.

Desktop Effects are also fine once an exception is added for the blacklisted video card. I don't remember exactly what I did to fix it, but just Google for whatever error you get when running compiz-manager from the terminal and you'll see lots of discussions on the topic.

I still don't have tablet button functionality, and haven't figured out rotation. I know with 8.04 and 8.10 you had to turn off desktop effects in order to rotate properly, and I don't know if that's still the case. Jaunty seems to deal with the tablet differently, so I'm hesitant to try the same fixes that worked in the past. If anyone manages to get it working please let me know.

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Mind posting images of firefox/ evernote?

3. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

4. Kyle Porter

I meant showing how well the inking is in jaunty when using evernote.

5. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

The first image I posted shows a note I inked in Evernote under Wine. Works great.

I do wish there was a way to convert a Xournal file (*.xoj) to an Evernote inked file instead of a PDF so it's searchable and takes up less space.

6. Kyle Porter

Thank you. This information will help my ubuntu installation and setup thread immensely.

Inking seems fairly normal, which is nice. Unfortunately this will have to do until OneNote decides to play nice w/ crossover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.