Lenovo X230 (i7-3520M) Overheating?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Brandon Madej, Apr 30, 2017.

?

1. Does your X230 / i7-3520M overheat too?

1. Yes, definitely!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Somewhat, but not too hot.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, it stays cool.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Brandon Madej

Brandon Madej Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    I have the Lenovo X230 (Not X230t convertable) and it has the i7-3520M Dual-core 2.9 Ghz cpu in it and it is getting very, very hot. It is concerning me how hot it is getting. It is getting 80-90℃ when idle (with cortana using about 30% of cpu for some reason).

So, my questions are:
    1. Why does cortana and search use so much cpu?

2. Why is it getting so hot with only 30-50% cpu usage?

3. Is there just a problem with the thermal paste in the i7-3520M?

4. How do I permanently disable cortana?

5. Is 80-90℃ safe?

Yes, the heatsinks and fan have been / are clean.
    When I disable cortana is cools down quickly, but only to about 50℃.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

1. It shouldn't, using zero percent for me at the moment. Maybe a bug, or some indexing going on
    2. maybe the CPU fan is not working (any air flowing?), or maybe there's dust bunnies in the vents.
    3. might be, but first see 2.
    4. Maybe this helps, I haven't tried it
    5. it's getting close, for this CPU 105 oC is the max specified junction temperature (TJunction on this page) But really it shouldn't be getting that hot at 30% cpu use

Also: welcome to the forum!

3. Brandon Madej

Brandon Madej Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks!

I can assure you that the fan is indeed working and I have also made sure it was dust free. I opened the task manager after writing this to figure out what was using so much of my CPU when i was just browsing the web, because its usually around 10% or less and it said search and cortana was taking up about 20-40%. I have no idea why cortana would use so much, but when i disabled it it went down some, but not to my personal liking. Maybe its normal and I am just used to my desktop running cooler.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

In that case it may indeed be the thermal paste. In this short thread it is stated that even under max CPU load the temp should stay below 90C, so something seems off with your machine. I've once opened up a ThinkPad tablet to replace the fan+heatsink assembly. Can't say I much enjoyed the process! :eek: Good luck, hope you can get it fixed.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

When the fan is working, is it blowing hot air? If not, you might have a problem with the thermal heat transfer fluid in the heat sink. Otherwise, my guess is that the thermal paste needs to be replaced. Make sure to put a thin, consistent layer on the sink, (I like IC Diamond 7) after cleaning it well (alcohol on a coffee filter works great and doesn't leave lint). Also, check the CPU to make sure it sits correctly and that the clips holding it in place are in good shape. Sounds like something is no longer making contact between the CPU and the sink. I-7s run very hot when they loose their ability to transmit heat. 90c is actually within the operating envelope but I typically ran my old Arrandale I7 in the low 80s, even when gaming. When it gets to 102 or 103, it will begin to throttle to keep heat down.