Lenovo WriteIt Beta in Spring 2015 - handwriting directly in forms

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by AveSharia, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Saw this in /r/Surface, via engadget, via YouTube.

Lenovo is supposedly debuting a utility at CES that should make handwriting input a bit more natural, allowing you to write directly in forms, in lieu of using Microsoft's soft keyboard.

I signed up for the beta- the YouTube video description contains a link but it just redirects to Lenovo's site. From the front page CES splash click "Learn More," then "APPS," then WriteIt.

Looks like laptopmag has a video up as well, showing it in action. I'm pretty stoked about this... I have often wanted to handwrite some text, but had to call up the soft keyboard manually, which is a pain. I am curious how nicely WriteIt will play with other non-text stylus input.

2. asiwa

asiwa Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks sweet! :) Signed up for the beta as well. With multiple stylus-enabled tablets I could get some real use out of this...

3. EricPellegrini

EricPellegrini Pen Pal - Newbie

Surface Pro 3 here, and out of luck. The beta went live today and it is only for Lenovo PCs.

4. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah... I wouldn't worry, you aren't missing too much just yet. It seems like it has a lot of potential, but the cases where I need it most are where it performs least.

It is very cool that they can detect when your pen hits a text box in a variety of applications and contexts. I would think that, however they implemented it, that alone has some cool implications for productivity mini-apps.

That said, it seems to stink in URL bars, which would be about half of my use cases. It puts spaces between words, and thinks I really like to end my URLs with "-cam."

It also isn't fun trying to constrain your writing to those small spaces, and keep it machine-legible. I'm trying to see how much I can get away with in terms of writing outside the box; but I think each stroke needs to at least begin inside.

Still beta, so I'm still hopeful for improvements (yeah yeah, I left feedback with Lenovo).

5. gskidsdoc

gskidsdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Any difficulty uninstalling if there are problems ? Are any settings affected while it's operational ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.