Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablet + dockable Keyboard Combo

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Aug 2, 2012.

1. EspiOne

EspiOne Pen Pal - Newbie

I recieved my Tablet 2 today, I am disappointed that it did not come with a stylus, very plain jane. Configuration was easy, easy set up. But the stylus, the stylus, the stylus, where is the stylus??? It has a plug where the stylus goes. Can I remove the plug and order a stylus. I will post more at the days go by.

2. phawker

phawker Pen Pal - Newbie

Which model did you order?

Any model over the least expensive option came with a stylus...

Before you order one, make sure you have a digitiser. It would suck to get a stylus and realize that this model doesn't have the digitiser either.

3. makiyum

makiyum Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same, I ordered the 64gb version + wifi and I did not get a stylus.. I also have the rubber plug which worries me, I think I got one without the digitizer.. I live in Sweden and we did not have an option, we had the base model, the one I ordered and the 3G version. All of them were advertised with a digitizer and a pen.
    I'm getting a pen after work today and I'll post an update if it works or not, fingers crossed!

4. bam3000

bam3000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Compare your model with this (Attached):

Thinkpad-Tablet2.jpg

5. makiyum

makiyum Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 23G... Guess my tablet doesn't have pen support... what a bummer.. Sending it back I guess.

6. bam3000

bam3000 Pen Pal - Newbie

7. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

The latest (January 2013) version of the Lenovo Thinkpad 2 models for Western Europe has some additional model numbers.

Lenovo Thinkpad text.jpg

8. cuco

cuco Pen Pal - Newbie

hi,
    what manufactorer is the WiFi Card in the TPT2?
    thanks a lot

9. EspiOne

EspiOne Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking at the list, I ordered (Amazon.com: ThinkPad Tablet 2 10.1-inch 64 GB Tablet: Computers & Accessories), but I order the amazon price one @ $699.00. I feel I paid too much, but I have it, so I am keeping it.
    It was the 3679-23U

My thoughts: I have been a Thinkpad fan for years, (10+), I have own several Thinkpads, most of them Tablet Convertiables. I mainly purchased this Windows 8 Tablet, because it was a Thinkpad. I had considered the "Surface" and I did in fact purchase an ASUS Tab RT, but cancelled the order, when I found more about the RT. You can not install any outside APPs. So I decided on this...and had been waiting for it, since OCT. But straight to the piont....

PROs:
    1. It is a thinkpad
    2. It is a touchscreen, the touch interface is great, I have an HP 500 Slate, and this is WAY better.
    3. Windows 8 has great fluid motion, snappy, but I said that about Windows 7.
    4. Light, not too heavy, compared to the HP 500 Slate.

CONs:
    1. Windows 8, not Windows 8 Pro
    2. No Stylus, but any old Thinkpad Tablet Stylus does work (using one from an X60/61)
    3. Price, I paid $699, the price dropped, from other sellers.

Overall, I was looking for a Great Windows 8 Tablet, I can not go wrong with this one.

But does anyone know if the Stylus plug and be removed and place a stylus in there or is it completely blocked. ???

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Not fair to put that under "cons". Your particular model didn't come with a Stylus, but others do.

11. makiyum

makiyum Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered a separate stylus and it didnt work.. :-( So I am returning mine in exchange for a model with a digitizer. They have not reached Europe yet apparently, so i guess I'll have to wait a bit more..I'm really impressed with the tablet otherwise, and windows 8 is really amazing. The multitasking and splitscreen functions are crazy!

12. EspiOne

EspiOne Pen Pal - Newbie

You have a valid point, but I honestly believe that "since all past Thinkpad tablets have come with a stylus" this one should have come with a stylus as a standard. As both of us know, even some tablet/slate that "do not" have pen slot, came with a stylus, I just think that if it has a pen slot, it should have been standard. I will admit that I did not notice that when I ordered, although, Amazon.com did not provide very much informtion, which makes me second guess my purchase, I should have sat on it for a bit. My comments were directed mainly at the particular model that I purchased, but like it was previously discuss, I will hold on to for as long as warranty last/protection and then dump it when it finally breaks.

So....all in all, I am very happy with it, I have already began to move my settings from the HP 500 Slate, ":confused: what should I do with the HP Slate? :confused:. it was a $500 investment. Not sure at the moment. I still need a docking station and Bluetooth keyboard, so...maybe after I get those, I will do a full upgrade. Right now, I am just gitty and messing with my new Windows 8, tablet.

Oh, and on one previous post by Bronsky
    "Yes, I have fallen in love all over again with the Window Touch Screen Tablet"

Workers at my agency loved it and asked when we were gonna get them, "oh, no, this is a personal one" "Our agency won't get these, we just moved with WIN 7 last year." (I work for a GOVT agency in US doing IT Support)

13. bam3000

bam3000 Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my Tablet 2, and it is 367927U model. It came with Digitizer Pen but the hole in the unit for the Pen covered with plastic and no way to open it.
    Did anyone faced the same issue here?

14. jtpeace

jtpeace Pen Pal - Newbie

15. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

That's weird... that model should have pen according to Lenovo's part sheet. I ordered that same model and it should arrive soon, will let you know. If it doesn't have a Pen then I'll have to return it as they advertised it coming with one.

Edit: Just got mine today, same model. Has digitizer and pen with a pen silo to put the pen in. You sure you got a 367927U?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  16. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone with win8pro turned on bitlocker? If so, can you please post a crystaldiskmark benchmark?

17. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I just got mine and while the outside build quality seems quite good, the screen has some problems. If I pick up the tablet from one side, the weight of the tablet causes some flex and the screen gets visibly distorted in the center. It's like those old LCD monitors where you push on it with your fingers and it ripples. Does anyone else have this issue with theirs? If I just push firmly on the screen I get the ripples as well... very disappointing. I got this instead of the Acer W510 thinking the build quality would be better!

18. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you be more specific about how holding the tablet is causing ripples? Left or right side (landscape mode, I presume?)?

19. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

Not holding it, but picking it up or pressing the screen. Picking it up with 1 hand from the right hand side for example causes the body to flex and the ripples to appear in the center of the screen. The ripples seem to be caused by components beneath the screen which are in the center but closer to the top edge near the camera.

20. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I get tiny tiny ripples from this, absolutely nothing that would concern me and nothing I would see unless I was actively scrutinizing for them. I'd say I got the same ripples on my w510, and much worse ones on the Samsung 500t.

Edit: I've got my iPad in front of me and even that ripples if I press my thumb on the screen.