Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablet + dockable Keyboard Combo

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Aug 2, 2012.

1. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

32 GB is too small for win8 PC, which is a pity as there is a huge price difference between 32 GB and 64 GB.

2. mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Pen Pal - Newbie

Ordered mine this afternoon. 3679CTO is the configuration.

3679CTO ThinkPad Tablet 2W - 1 Yr Depot Topseller Warranty

Operating System Windows 8 Pro 32

Operating System Language Windows 8 Pro 32 English

Base 64GB, WiFi

Battery 2-cell Li-Polymer Battery, 30 Wh

Power Cord Country Pack North America 10W AC adapter

Language Pack Publication - US English

Packaging Standard Economy Packaging

0A33907 ThinkPad Tablet 2 Slim Case - Black

I was not interested in the digitizer or the pen, but I did want windows pro.

Might get the keyboard dock later on. Pocketbook hurts too much right now.

3. puckcowboy

puckcowboy Pen Pal - Newbie

SBL, if I understand correctly, the Digitizer is built into each Tablet and the difference between the 2 lower models is one comes with the Pen and one doesn't, hence the $30 difference. As someone pointed out it was just cheaper to buy the Pen Separately so I decided to save the $6 and get the pen for $21. I think Lenovo just advertises the "Pen & Digitizer" as a combo thing thought to make it seem like you are getting more. I have no clue why they would manufacturer an entirely different line of Tablet Inards for a measly $30 retail. It has to just be the Pen difference and the Pen "uses the Digitizer". If that truly isnt the case though I will just return it.

As far as the price goes I bought the base unit at 584.10. Sorry for the Typo.

4. ats0909

ats0909 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey folks,

I'm thinking about buying a TPT2, but I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me. The screen on this device has the same wide aspect ratio (16:9) as the Microsoft Surface Pro will have, right? Are there any other meaningful differences in the screens, besides the higher resolution of the Surface Pro?

I'm not a big fan of the widescreen geometry for tablets, but the TPT2 and Surface Pro seem like the best options for me. (Want a tablet that (a) can run regular Windows apps, and (b) has a digitizer and pen.)

Thanks!

5. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

They are different devices. Surface Pro is an Intel Core device which provides you only 5 hours of battery. Do not forget the noise of its fan and the heat flowing out of its vents. But it has a great performance!
    In other hand, TPT2 has an Intel Atom chip and it has 10 hours of battery, very light, very slim. But it does not have half of the performance that surface pro has. The choice is yours.

6. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

7. chaose

chaose Pen Pal - Newbie

Ordered through Barnes and Nobles site with code USXDISCOUNT.
    Total before taxes (after discount): $600
    Not really sure what the difference between no security features and enhanced convenience without fingerprint reader and NFC is. I thought it was suppose to come with both by default, but whatever, those features aren't important.
    Going to wait until my brother gets back to NH before ordering the keyboard and the sleeve. No sales tax in NH.

Operating System

Windows 8 32
    Operating System Language Windows 8 32 English
    Base 64GB, WiFi, Digitizer & Pen
    Security Features Enhanced Convenience without Fingerprint Reader & NFC
    Battery 2-cell Li-Polymer Battery, 30 Wh
    Power Cord Country Pack North America 10W AC adapter
    Language Pack Publication - US English
    Packaging Standard Economy Packaging

Total after taxes: $665.34

8. chaose

chaose Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope you are right about that.

9. yogiboy

yogiboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmmmm, I tried ordering a TPT2 from Lenovo Australia website, but apparently they don't accept credit cards from outside Australia. Anyone have
    suggestions where I could get one from dealers or resellers in Australia with good reputation in accepting orders and delivery? I plan to get one with 3G and only Australia and New Zealand offer this model in Asia Pacific area. Thanks!

10. EspiOne

EspiOne Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I will be passing on it for the next two months, unfortunately, with X Mas, the money I "had" saved, got spend on other things. I did the order and the price with 3 year warranty was a little to high at the moment, I am short by about $300. Anyone got 1K to spare?? I will have to wait until the end of January. What really surprised me was the GOVT discount was like 5%, what is up with that?? Please post your reviews, I am dead set on getting it, but not at the moment.

11. chaose

chaose Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure if 3 year warranty is worth it. There should be a product refresh in Q3 2013 and launch in Q4 2013 or Q1 2014 and launch Q2 2014. Tegra 4 will be coming out, as well as the next gen Atom. Buying a 1 year warranty and then selling the tablet, then buy the latest version is probably cheaper than buying a 3 year warranty. 3 years is an eternity, I guess if you don't plan on upgrading for 3 years then it's worth it. Generally, if the tablet has a problem, it will show up within the 1 year warranty period. If you purchase it with a credit card, most credit cards automatically double warranty period for free, so you have a 2 year warranty regardless.

12. puckcowboy

puckcowboy Pen Pal - Newbie

13. jtpeace

jtpeace Pen Pal - Newbie

Does Lenovo not want to sell to Canadians? I just checked the price through the Lenovo Canada site, and they want $1239 CDN for the tablet with pen and digitizer.

What is going on? First Canada is sent a non digitizer Samsung Ativ, and now Lenovo is ripping us off. I just don't get it...and Lenovo and Samsung don't get any money from me.

14. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone else have their order cancelled? I went to the website and punched in my order number and it pops up with my order sheet but it says cancelled! WTF is wrong with this company?

15. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

it must be an error. Lenovo US website had a similar error on Dec. 19 but it was fixed quickly.

16. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How are you guys getting the USXDISCOUNT code to stick? I'm on the BN Lenovo site, I'm signed in and it shows the BN discount all the way until it hits my cart then then the discount is gone and it says it's not valid for this cart.

17. chaose

chaose Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, so I checked the benchmarks on the Atom cpu used in this tablet.
    CPU wise, this Atom blows any ARM based chips out of the water except for the Cortex A15.
    GPU wise this Atom is worse than the Tegra 3, and cannot even compare to the ipad 3 or ipad 4 at all.

Given that A15 will be out next year and most likely an updated Atom, perhaps Intel will bump the specs on that. Maybe I should've got a Surface with Win RT instead.

18. phawker

phawker Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you link to the TPT2 on the Lenovo Canada site? I can't even see it...

19. ecoeco

ecoeco Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else actually had their order ship from the Oz or NZ store? My order still shows no shipping date. I was hoping it would ship today since the store page was accepting preorders to ship on 21 December but maybe this was just an impossible dream.
    Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_222 using Board Express

20. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Just tried and it worked.

I've noticed that sometimes the codes don't work unless typed and all letters are in caps. Also, make sure there is no space after the last letter. If that doesn't work, try removing extras, such as k/b and cases, that were added through the checkout process.