Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablet + dockable Keyboard Combo

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Aug 2, 2012.

1. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

What kind of performance impact does bitlocker have on eMMC? I

2. delesh

delesh Pen Pal - Newbie

A lot of companies do this because of enterprise or government orders. For example, if you look at the business order site on Dell for the Latitude 10 it is listed as over $1000 but discounts it automatically when you order. Wonder if that is what is going on.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  3. sbl

sbl Pen Pal - Newbie

There is an option under Security Features during the purchase process called: Enhanced Convenience without Fingerprint Reader & NFC
    Does anyone know what is it?

4. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

There's something weird about ordering the model with Digitizer and Pen. Even though I select the one with pen, it suggests me to pick a pen in the purchase process and then adds extra 24 dollars to the price. The unit has a pen, why should they charge for another pen ?

5. ibmthink

ibmthink Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovo Unboxed ThinkPad Tablet 2:
    [video=youtube;LRQzhD3KNVc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQzhD3KNVc[/video]

6. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You are probably ordering an extra pen.

7. spinedoc77

Do they have the 3g one listed yet? I'm about to pull the trigger on the $679 one, but was curious how much more the 3g one is.

8. spinedoc77

Sigh, not letting me add it to cart.

9. Riatics

Riatics Pen Pal - Newbie

What is the difference between the $649 and the $679 models? The $679 is with Pen & Digitizer, does that mean the $649 has no digitizer and does not work with a pen? Otherwise wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the first model and just add a pen?

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Wasn't the pen an optional accessory initially? I think the device normally ships without the Pen.

Edit: my guess is that the $679 model includes the Pen, but both models have the digitizer.

11. spinedoc77

That would make sense since it's only a $30 difference, although if true you could save $6 by buying the cheaper one then adding the pen. The real question is does the $649 one have a pen silo.

Anyone able to place an order? My credit card is burning a hole in my pocket, but when I go to add to cart it says page not found.

12. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

It is letting me order it but I am on the fence (I'm at the final screen where you can submit the order). The Acer W510 was only $399 and basically is the same thing except for the digitizer and extra HD space I don't need. I got 10% off with the B&N gold discount, making total before tax $611 for pen and digitizer. Any advice?!

13. 150pilot

150pilot Pen Pal - Newbie

The W510 also does not have a full size USB 2.0 port on the tablet itself. Also it uses a porprietary charging connector which means you will need to carry a special charger around. I have also heard from Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T owners that approx. 30 Gigs was used up by the operating system and its restore partitions. So that doesn't leave much on a 32 Gig system. I am assuming that is the reason for the low price on that model. Also, after having used the Samsung ATIV, I believe you would appreciate having the pen, especially in "Desktop" mode.

14. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If you really don't need a pen or extra HD space, the Acer looks like a sweet deal. The Thinkpad will be better built, you will have better service (although the Acer temple texas depot provides very good service, Thinkpad service is handled by IBM in the US so you won't have to deal with offshore techs before you get an RMA) but the Acer costs almost half as much as the Thinkpad. Combine that with the fact that there are going to be a lot of changes in this market over the next year and I think I would be leaning toward the Acer.

15. spinedoc77

placed an order over chat with Apeshka Singh, got the $679 model with the slim case. He verified it does come with a pen, but does NOT come with NFC. No release date on the 3g one. I must say Im concerned over customer service. They have a sales number and I called it, but it just rang and rang, no voicemail, nothing, and it's within business hours. I'm currently on the Acer W510 and am very impressed with the hardware, no crashes unlike the crappy Samsung 500T, so I hope the Lenovo turns out to be quality also.

OK well lets see if this doesn't get pushed back, I'm psyched.

16. spinedoc77

It's a touch choice. I had the W510 32gb, but with nothing installed I had like 11gb free, I just couldn't see going forward always being afraid to install a program. The SD card runs at about half the speed of the hard drive so that's not a great option for installing programs. I returned it and am currently typing on a 64gb W510, I must say the hardware is quite good, I've not had a single crash, lag or issue, contrasted with 2 Samsung 500T's I had which were pure junk, crashed, lagged, and had one totally brick on me. But for $599 for the 64gb w510 with no digitizer/pen and no cases anywhere to be found I found paying the extra $79 for the TPT2 was well worth it. If you are going for the $399 W510 and can handle the lack of storage then by all means it's a no brainer though.

Other issues though that I had with the W510 was the mini-USB port, just a horrid decision as I don't want to be forced to carry the mini USB to USB cable. Also the power port was on the bottom, making it very unwieldy when connected to power, and the TPT2 is mini USB powered so it's pretty universal, the W510 was proprietary. Also the miniSD is only rated to 32gb, some seem to have luck with 64gb cards but it's not officially supported. All those things plus the pen/digitizer were what won me over.

17. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Pretty sure the models available at Lenovo's site are just the topseller models. I placed an order for the mid-ranged model (Digi pen but no Win8 Pro). My order status shows "3679CTO" as the part number and "ThinkPad Tablet 2W - 1 Yr Depot Topselle" as the description. The tabook.pdf categorizes all of the topseller models under the heading "ThinkPad® Tablet 2 (3679) - TopSeller."

For those considering the higher end model for additional security: consider that bitlocker is probably going to slow down the eMMC memory significantly. Bitlocker is software encryption and I don't see anything on Lenovo's site indicating that the TPT2 supports hardware encryption as well. Of course, you could always turn bitlocker off.

18. puckcowboy

puckcowboy Pen Pal - Newbie

I just placed the following order through Barnes & Nobles Lenovo Discount program. I bought a bunch of sccessories (and Accidental protection since I figured it was worthwhile ona Tablet thats being handled a lot). I may return some of the accessories though if I dont like them or find them useful.

Barnes and Nobles does come with free Expeditie Shipping too. Hopefully I get thsi around my Birthday on 1/11! :)

1 3679CTO ThinkPad Tablet 2W - 1 Yr Depot Topseller Warranty = $574.11

04W8309 1YR Accidental Damage Protection $69.00 = $58.65

0B47270 ThinkPad Tablet 2 Bluetooth Keyboard with Stand - US English $119.99 = $86.69

0A33902 ThinkPad Tablet 2 Sleeve $39.99 = $28.89

0A33907 ThinkPad Tablet 2 Slim Case - Black $49.99 = $36.12

0A33899 ThinkPad Tablet 2 Pen $24.99 = $21.24

FREE Expedited Shipping & Handling: $0.00
    Recycling fee: $6.00
    Tax: $54.89

[USXDISCOUNT]: -$64.90
    Total: $876.58

19. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

True...if you were getting the 64 gb Acer, I'd go for the Lenovo instead. I originally bought my Sony Vaio Duo to replace my Vaio Z that I have had for a few years. I needed an active digitizer so I didn't have much choice in the full laptop realm. I tried the Ativ and like you said, it was a disaster so I opted for the Sony. Inking on the Atom is sufficient so maybe I should just sell the Vaio Duo and keep the Vaio Z since it is still working fine, and get the Lenovo for the inking capabilities (that way I can save some money and wait for Haswell to come out before getting my next laptop). That was my original plan except it took Lenovo forever to get the TP2 out. Ugh...very tempting! I do love my Vaio Duo though...awesome screen and performance.

20. sbl

sbl Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, puckcowboy. Does your 3679CTO have a digitizer? I checked Barnes and Noble Exclusive Offer but 3679CTO with digitizer is $611.10 ($584.10 without digitizer). Thanks!